Confused

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
chicagogirl

Confused

#1 Post by chicagogirl »

Ok, we have several window quotes. Okna & Sunrise. There's a LARGE price difference & also the way they are installed. Both window co's quoted have roughly the same specs. Sunrise, the more expensive is replacing everything & has to take down all window treatments. Okna replaces from the outside & states there's no need to take window treatments down. They do state that there will be primed wood that we will have to get painted which is another expense. Why are windows installed differently? This obviously is not my field of expertise.

toddinmn

Re: Confused

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Both methods are common place , which is best depends on existing conditions, cost, and desired finished look.
Not sure if the Okna installer is removing the existing frame And installing a unit with or with out nailfins or an insert. Sounds like the Sunrise installer is tearing out the frame and probably installing with nail fins? I would get more details on which each is doing.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

As Todd said, there are more ways than one to replace a window, and none are necessarily "right" or "wrong". With that said, depending on the totality of the circumstances, there can certainly be a preferred way. It sounds like your quotes are full frame vs pocket, so the question for you is, is the full frame unnecessary and potentially not money well spent, OR is the pocket guy just offering the easiest install, but should really be full frame... or possibly somewhere in between.

This is a complex question, one that will require a lot more detail about the situation. Unfortunately many contractors really push hard for their preferred method as opposed to delving into the existing conditions, and some ONLY offer one or the other.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any chance you could have the contractors in question shoot you a quick email and break down their installation procedures. That said, as referenced earlier, what is appropriate depends on the situation, skill of the installer, and current conditions of the opening.

The long and short of it in our market is that the folks that like to do full tears...recommend full tears as the only way to go. The folks that like inserts, default back to that option...and so on and so on.

Both can usually be done as an option and much of the proclivity to a given application will depend on the installers.

chicagogirl

#5 Post by chicagogirl »

Thank you so much for the explanations!!! It really helps. I guess this would explain the difference in price. Also, I believe my window openings are not in bad shape, so wondering if I even need a full tear out. How would I know what I need, since I am not a professional in this area? It's a really big expenditure & want to make the right decision. Thanks again for all of your help! REALLY appreciate your input!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the openings aren't in bad shape, unless there is a fundamental flaw in the tie into the structure or drainage plane, an insert if usually applicable.

Best bet would be to start with the contractors and just ask them why they have recommended what they have recommended, I guess.

chicagogirl

#7 Post by chicagogirl »

The guy who wants to do new construction states that "the only way to do an insert is to run a saws-all down the frame, which is a messy, unpredictable and structurally unsound way to do the project. Your existing frames were designed to hold Casement sashes, not to have entirely new windows screwed into it. You would lose significant amounts of glass (viewing area) because your window frame-to-glass width would be on top of the width of the old frame. Additional, you’d have patchwork trim around the interior of all 4 sides where the new window would be secured to the old one. The efficiency, longevity & aesthetic of a full frame replacement is much better than an insert system with your application". Is this hogwash, upsell, or correct?? Thoughts?

WindowsDirectCinci

#8 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Even more true imo is the reduced glass area when replacing casements. If that is a concern for you doing a full tearout will look more like what you have now as opposed to do an insert. Most people opt for an insert due to price but generally imo a full tearout is better for a few reasons...
1-No need for aluminum capping- capping isn’t a bad thing and is standard in the industry but it will likely look different than why you have.
2- more glass area. Generally will stay close to the same as you have now.... unfortunately a lot of casement Windows will have bulky frames and the loss of glass is enhanced when doing an insert
3- I would not be concerned at all about the structural support of your old frames holding unless there is water damage (although I haven’t actually seen the project)
4- by doing a full tearout you can insulate the whole window cavity which may not be possible with an insert

I’d suggest looking at some before/after photos of each. Although I believe a full tearout is the best method admittedly most of what we do is replacements. (Most people have budgets and new windows can already be expensive)

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The glass loss would be very true, some Bruce this more than others. Hard to say how they would have to cut. Up the old frames but. Is usually not an issue. The trim would not be patch work if done correctly. Old windows that are newer usually are not as good candidates for inserts .
It would help maybe if ther were pictures of the old windows about 5’ back from both sides. What year is the house? Have the windows been replaced before?

chicagogirl

#10 Post by chicagogirl »

How can I add some pics of the windows?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Click on the "Attachments" tab. See picture below.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.20.52 AM.jpg