Sound reduction window style

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Anlina

Sound reduction window style

#1 Post by Anlina »

Which seals better against noise, casements or sliders?

I'd always thought casements did, but a dealer just told me
that sliders definitely seal more tightly.

Thanks!

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Sound reduction window style

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

That would not be the case in any line of Windows I’ve ever seen... noise reduction can be attributed to many different things, insulated vs hollow frames, glass thickness and how many panes 2 or 3? Laminated glass or dissimilar offset glazing and how air tight a window is (air infiltration rating)...... sliders vs casements and all other things being equal a casement is, unless a very crappy design, always going to seal up better than a slider.... maybe he has a really crappy casement...... also ask him for the stc rating and A.I. Rating on his slider vs casement and that will remove all the guesswork.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Casements almost always have better ratings but It is typically only by a point. A casement would also have an advantage over a slider due to the glass size being smaller for the same sizes opening if comparing a twin casement to a single slider.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with these fellas above. Assuming that the glass package is the same, a casement will seal better and therefore better reduce sound. Will it be night and day? Probably not, not sure that I'd choose the window style based on this criteria, but to your question, it is strange and likely inaccurate information that the sales rep provided you unless there is some information not being conveyed here.

Anlina

#5 Post by Anlina »

Thanks, everyone, for confirming what I'd thought. :)

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sound travels on air...less air leakage...less sound.

You have gotten great advice above.

Anlina

#7 Post by Anlina »

Thanks, Windows on Washington. I looked on Milgard's site,
and it says there that their Style Line sliders (1/8 over 7/32 lam) have an STC of 35,
and the casements (7/32 lam over 1/8) have an STC of 33.

Does it matter which glass is laminated or which one is thicker?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure why the numbers would be different there if the glass package appears the same. Perhaps the additional frame thickness, relative to the glass size (slider vs. casement) is why that number is slightly tweaked. That said, STC measurements are done in static conditions, just like U-Factor tests. It has been my observations that in two identically equip windows (glazing packages), customers will note more noise out of the sliders vs. Double Hungs or Casements, because of the higher rate of air leakage.

We literally just did a job like this 3 weeks ago and had to go back and supply some additional weatherstripping to tighten up the slider because of the noise concerns of the client.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

They are showing the horizontal slider , which I think has 1 operating panel at 34, the double slider is listed at 33 and the casement is at 36.
Everything matters with STC . The laminated is usually always on surface one , and with dissimilar glass the thick pane is usually on surface 1.

Anlina

#10 Post by Anlina »

Thanks so much, Windows on Washington and Todd. That's helpful.
Do you have any experience comparing the sound reduction
between vinyl and aluminum frames?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't have any back to back, but I have used both frame materials with success. I don't there there is going to be a huge spread on the frame materials difference, if any.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

You’d have to compare the numbers to know. If you look at Gerkin Windows , they have the same STC numbers for there aluminum and vinyl lines. A thermally broken window would be most desireable .

Anlina

#13 Post by Anlina »

Thanks again, Windows on Washington and Todd!