Window Universe-Lakewood Ohio

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
krelldog

Window Universe-Lakewood Ohio

#1 Post by krelldog »

Their coming to give me an estimate on Thursday. Their online reviews are fantastic..although I'm pretty skeptical of anything online as its very easy to manipulate.

My question: Does anyone have any experience with them?

Also: I have my own questions to bounce off them, but what questions do the experts recommend I ask during the walk through/estimate.

One plus is....they advertise that they are very on point with the estimate. Its not some ridiculous 2-3 hour dog and pony show..

Any and all help is appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Universe-Lakewood Ohio

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think they are franchise based and I don't have any real experience with them. Have you asked friends or family for any references?

WindowsDirectCinci

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The one in my area is online based. They have no physical address or workers here. They quote the jobs over the phone or internet, and then send out someone from the manufacturer (Alside) to measure the job and Alside then hires the subcontractors to install them. I would feel more comfortable in your shoes if they have a physical location and they may have a different process there.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I've had the opportunity to meet with Dan (the window dog) who runs the Window Universe organization and he's a solid guy that cares about quality and taking care of clients. The above comments (from the other pros) are indeed valid however, regarding any organization with multiple locations or franchises. I'd judge each of them in large part individually on their own merit. You will find different individuals running the day to day, different products in many cases, etc.

I'd also concur that ideally you want a contractor with an established physical location (office, showroom, warehouse), as well as the great reviews and a sufficient history and sales volume. Per the BBB and Remodeling magazine, 5 years in business and $2mm in annual sales volume are a couple of benchmarks cited where the reliability of a home improvement company and its likelihood to be around for while go up dramatically... I'm not sure how any of those pertain to your choices, nor are those necessarily guarantees of anything, but just some things to consider when weighing options.

krelldog

#5 Post by krelldog »

Today I went to their Brick and Mortar actual store. The window I would be buying is an Okna eco pro 600.

Everything seems completely legit. My estimate is Thurs Evening.....I'll report my findings.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The Window Dog has an interesting accessment of Okna on his site and perhaps pricing is on the low side . It sound like he perhaps just started selling Okna? There sales approach is very Zen like.

krelldog

#7 Post by krelldog »

I'm confused by your post...can you explain further.

Thanks.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

If you google the window dog you should find his window review site.

krelldog

#9 Post by krelldog »

What are your thoughts on upgrading to a triple pane window...its 135.00 more per window.

Is this overkill or is it worth the extra money ?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Gets pretty chilly up there?

At $135 per window, that is a fairly normal and reasonable upgrade charge for triple pane glass.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Good window, and I'd agree that triple pane is advisable if you can swing it. Depending on the exact glass packages, you can figure it to be somewhere between 20-30% more efficient than double pane

krelldog

#12 Post by krelldog »

My mistake...It wasn't 135.00 per window for triple pane. It was 90.00 per window.

Even better.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

That price is more in line for a basic triple pane upgrade