Lamination and the window's weight

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Anlina

Lamination and the window's weight

#1 Post by Anlina »

A Milgard dealer has told me that lamination will make the Tuscany windows so heavy, they'll
be difficult to open and close (I'm on the weak side!). :) Although I want sound reduction from
the windows, he's strongly trying to talk me out of laminate (even though they're obviously
more expensive).

Is he correct? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Lamination and the window's weight

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of operator? Double Hung?

If yes on the operator type, they will make them a bit harder to operate but they are supposed to be balance sprung per the sash weight so it should be a mostly non-issue.

Anlina

#3 Post by Anlina »

Casements and sliders.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

As WoW alluded to there may be a perceptible difference in how the window "feels", but not to the point of actually being difficult to operate. Milgard isn't in this neck of the woods anymore so maybe they have some issue with heavier units that I'm unaware of, but generally speaking this is not a problem.

Anlina

#5 Post by Anlina »

Thank you, HomeSealed!

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

I was fortunate to visit Milgards factory out in the Northwest a few years back. I know they had gone through a huge change in hardware and changing design flaws. The manufacturing process Milgard offers are plentiful. You can get thicker glass inside and out when it comes to the Insulated Glass Unit (IGU). The IGU is made with a laminated sheet which is two pieces of glass that sandwich either polyvinyl butryral or ethylene-vinyl acetate, PVB or EVA. Short for some kind of plastic. You’ll need more information telling us which type they are selling you. Their best STC is 35 on a double laminated IGU on the single slider. Milgards sliders have little brass wheels that help with sash operation. It’s not the friction type unit that could be a tough push. I’m not sure how big your windows are but you shouldn’t have any issues cranking or sliding a normal sized units.
If you’re cranking a sash that’s over 30” wide by 48” tall I can’t really see a problem. The only thing that can cause cranking issues is a window out of plumb. Meaning the top of the unit is leaning out further than the bottom. A casement unit must be plumb up and down, level, and square. If any of these are off the operation will be strained. The two pivots need equal pressure to open and close. They are made to be balanced top to bottom when operating.

What size windows are you looking at?