I like Marvin windows - working out the details

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
KBecks

I like Marvin windows - working out the details

#1 Post by KBecks »

I've been window shopping and after looking at a few window brands, (Marvin, Andersen, Okna, Soft-Lite Imperial) I like the Marvin windows the best. Of course, I like the Marvin Ultimates, and I also liked the Marvin wood/ultrex windows.

I got a bid on Okna (which I felt was high) and I am getting a bid on Marvin Ultimate, wood/ultrex and Softlite Imperial that should come next week. I am not sure if I will choke on the Marvin pricing or not. I am considering mixing one Ultimate in one room that is more public, with the wood/ultrex in other rooms that are more private.

There is a definite difference in the feeling between the Marvin and Softlite that is noticeable.

The company that is quoting is a dealer-installer, but I have been to a hardware store that is a Marvin dealer that works with long-time vetted installers, but they are not employees. I wonder if this is a fine way to go.

I am also trying to decide between pocket replacement and full install. I would like my interior trim re-worked in either case (what I have is ugly).

Thanks for any suggestions.

HomeSealed

Re: I like Marvin windows - working out the details

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Kbecks, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you have seen some darn good product choices. The bad news is that they have very different pros and cons between the wood and vinyl choices, and the best advice would be to narrow down your goals. The Okna and and Softlite LS are the cream of the crop in terms of vinyl offerings. Excellent thermal and structural performance, lifetime warranty, lowest maintenance, and likely a lower price than the wood units.

The Marvin and Andersen units (particularly the Marvin) lag a bit on the performance aspect (u value, air leakage, dp, condensation resistance, etc), however they do posses a very rich look and feel that can't be found on many vinyl windows and are well constructed overall. The 1000 series by Okna is probably the closest thing that I can think of with hidden welds and a very "heavy" feel.

At the end of the day, this breaks down to form vs function. If the appearance of the vinyl units meets your approval, they will pretty much be better in every other way. If looks and perhaps name recognition are higher on your list, the Marvin units certainly deliver that.

Lastly, one way that you could end up with Marvin pricing that you don't choke on would be using "side job" type installers like you mentioned, however I highly recommend against it. When problems arise the installer blames the window, the window blames the installer, and the "hardware store" that you bought them from says, "not our problem". This is one of the most common pitfalls in purchasing windows, I'd try to avoid at all costs. You are spending thousands (perhaps 10's of thousands) on your home, don't skimp on the install or risk total disaster.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty sure HomeSealed nailed the advice logic here. You really have to figure out what you WANT, and work slightly back from that baseline.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Excellent explanation. I would also add that both the Okna and Soft lite have higher structural ratings than both marvin and andersen. Further, as Homesealed alluded to, the higher end vinyl are maintenance free which means you wont get the potential operational issues you could get from a wood window such as difficulty opening and closing the window due to warping from wood dry out and water absorption.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can do the vinyl units as full frame, have new trim and a price less than the wood units.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

I agree with HomeSealed on this one! My Son runs my business now that I’ve retired. He’s Marvin’s top installer here in MN. His crew does nothing but Marvin’s upper end products. One thing he has told me about Marvin is they don’t mess around with their product not being installed properly. If the installation guidelines aren’t followed to a tee it’s voided by the factory rep. They lost a lot of money paying for product improperly installed. Now that the building codes now refer to the installation guidelines provided by each manufacturer as code the game changes. Marvin has hung through some huge manufacturing mistakes. Sue and Bill Jr fought hard to rebuild their reputation. I’m not thinking they will stand down to any poorly installed windows. So only use factory certified installers for your own sake. Marvin is one of the best out there. They will send their jet down here to the cities and fly any installation crew back up to Warroad to see how things are done. It’s a two or three day event and they foot the bill. Please don’t sell yourself short with installers who won’t stand behind their install. They should be Marvin Certified Installers!
If you go with Marvin Ultimates I can say first hand they are beautiful windows. Ordered them for family pre stained from the factory. We ordered clad units with matching exterior brickmould casing to match existing. The interior on the Marvin Jambs can step down inside. Make sure you order their jamb extension kits to fit right. Then just cut them to fit. They come 4 9/16” from the factory. I’m a fan of full replacements because I can be positive I’ve got good insulation and exterior sealing. Pocket inserts just need more coddling to be sure it’s sound.

I’m lucky living in MN as we have Marvin & Anderson factory’s here. We also have Cardinal Glass here too! Anderson to me has always been the one who just can’t get there. They’ve done everything possible to try and put a quality window to compete with the big boys. They finally got there when they purchased Eagle Windows. Eagle had a great product but I’m not sure if the clowns running Andersen’s production didn’t get their idiotic ideas that cause bad product reviews. They can never just leave things alone over there in Bayfield! Personally I’d drive past Andersen and wave. Never have they impressed me. Now this is only my opinion.

I’ve been in the industry since 1974 and watched huge change happen. I have my favorites just like the others do. I’ve been gone to long to offer any information on your other choices and how they compare. That’s what the young guns are for on this site. I’m huge on installation and doing it right. If we don’t do it right here in MN the weather will show you where you’ve failed. We use a blower door to test in and then out after completion. This way our customers have actual documentation showing the changes we’ve made to better their home. You can spend your money on the best window made. If they aren’t installed properly they’re junk. Make sure you get great installers!
Good Luck!!!