Issues replacing windows with bricks and shutters around opening?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MikeInMass

Issues replacing windows with bricks and shutters around opening?

#1 Post by MikeInMass »

I have two of the 55 year old windows pictured. The parts that should open no longer do. Sitting next to the window in winter, I can feel the cold breeze. They need either major overhaul or (I think more likely) to be replaced.

As the pictures show, there is brickwork around the window openings and shutters. I would like to continue to have the shutters and not have to disturb the brickwork. Is this an issue for any particular type of installation of a new window, either new-construction windows or replacement windows?

I know nothing about windows or construction in general, so I'm not sure whether to go with new construction windows or replacement windows. It would be good to know whether keeping the brickwork and shutters makes any particular sort of window more suitable. Thanks for helping my understanding.

HomeSealed

Re: Issues replacing windows with bricks and shutters around opening?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

It can be done either way, although pockets would simplify that a bit. Those are pretty wide mullions between the existing windows as well, so glass loss shouldn't be substantial. Unless there are other unforeseen factors, I'd say that you are a pretty solid candidate for pockets here, just remove the mulls... Save a bit of money to boot.

MikeInMass

#3 Post by MikeInMass »

Thanks @HomeSealed!

Any specific recommendations for a window that would accommodate the shutters and not clash with the overall look of the house?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the above advice.

Pocket replacement works just fine here.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

MikeInMass wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 pm Thanks @HomeSealed!

Any specific recommendations for a window that would accommodate the shutters and not clash with the overall look of the house?
Pretty much any pocket installed window will have no effect on the shutters. I'd redirect your attention to the performance and quality of the windows that you are considering in making this decision.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Home Sealed and WOW are spot on with pocket replacements. You will lose glass space for sure. In my opinion here in MN we pull the entire unit. Only because they look like old weight and pully windows. The weight pockets on each side and the two mull posts that separate the units are hollow boxes. The new unit will lay right up to your face brick and be caulked. No gaps or ugly holes. The inside gets a new jamb box that has the trim already attached. It’s made to fit exactly where the old trim did. This type of installs a much more energy efficient application. It makes the exterior maintenance free and it won’t require any capping.
On the other hand it’s a bit more difficult to install. This requires someone who knows how to measure up for a new window. Not much room for error here. This unit will get new insulation and caulking to keep air and water outside.

Using inserts will require fiberglass insulation of some sort pushed into each weight pocket. This job can anger the best of us. I just pull the outside mull cover off and can foam the opening. If you get crazy with the foam it will find a hole to revisit you! We remove the weights, pulleys, ropes, and debris inside each pocket. Once the pocket is foamed we nail the cap back on and custom bend aluminum to cover all the exterior wood to make it maintenance free. Most installers just pull the weight pocket door out and stuff fiberglass into the opening. No matter how well it’s done the air will blow straight through it. Fiberglass insulation is made to stop air at 4” thick and up. It must be layered like it is in the batting. If it’s torn apart and stuffed in a hole you might as well get ready to feel that breeze flowing down your neck in the cold season. Here in MN you’ll get frost on your back. The way we install here in the Upper Midwest is completely different than the rest of the country. MN, WI, ND and Canada are done differently because our cold is more dangerous. It should be the same way everywhere as it works the same way in the hotter climates. But it can be overkill in the South.
Good Luck!!!