Replace 3rd floor windows Houston, TX

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
houtxwindows

Replace 3rd floor windows Houston, TX

#1 Post by houtxwindows »

Good evening:

We are purchasing a townhouse in Houston, TX. The townhouse currently has all wood windows (possibly required by HOA?), the second story windows have recently all been replaced and are, if my memory serves me correctly, Jeld-Wen. The third story windows are original (early to mid 2000's), and have some issues including notable problems with thermal glazing on one window, some wood rot on at least one window frame (planning to have a handyman/carpenter come out to look at this also), as well as some areas where it seems at least a small opening is present despite windows being closed. All windows on 3rd floor are double-hung except the bathroom window which is fixed and has the thermal glazing problem.

I looked up window contractors on Angie's List, although these primarily do vinyl. I'm not sure these will be allowed by the HOA (although we can certainly request it and try). Any other suggestions re how to go about finding a window type and contractor to install them, especially for wood or composite (wood clad?) windows? We are quite newbies at this...

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replace 3rd floor windows Houston, TX

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How many windows in the third floor? You are going to pay a bit of a premium when it comes to projects under a 5 window minimum in many markets because of the cost of the logistics of the project being spread out over fewer windows.

I would Google around for Ultra Windows and call and speak to Randy.

houtxwindows

#3 Post by houtxwindows »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 am How many windows in the third floor? You are going to pay a bit of a premium when it comes to projects under a 5 window minimum in many markets because of the cost of the logistics of the project being spread out over fewer windows.

I would Google around for Ultra Windows and call and speak to Randy.
Thanks. We could probably do all of them if we wanted, which is more than 5.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Okna 7500 series composite windows are a great alternative to wood, as they won’t rot or swell, and they have a lifetime warranty.

houtxwindows

#5 Post by houtxwindows »

Randy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:20 pm Okna 7500 series composite windows are a great alternative to wood, as they won’t rot or swell, and they have a lifetime warranty.
Thank you so much for the helpful recommendation.

I apologize if this is a dumb question - Consumer Reports, in their Replacement Window Buying Guide ( https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/rep ... /index.htm ), recommends that one's installer has certification from the American Window and Door Institute (AWDI) or Installation Masters. The latter is easier to look up online ( http://installationmasters.com/certifie ... nstallers/ ) than the former, which seems to require an AWDI number to check ( http://www.awdi.com/checkcert/ ).

Are you or your company certified with either AWDI or Installation Masters? If not, could you clarify why this would not be an important criterion/if there is a better one?

Thank you!

EDIT: Also, is the Okna 7500 series the same thing as the Starmark Evo? https://www.starmarkwindows.com/media/c ... 500_dh.pdf
Thanks!

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I’m not really familiar with anything that Consumer Reports recommends, and no, I haven’t certified my installers. Don’t have anything against certification, but after 23 years in business, I just don’t see a need for it.

Yes, the Okna 7500 series is the Starmark Evo.

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

Randy you speak the truth. Certification has almost become more of a joke than anything. If I had a dollar for every installer who told me he was the best certified person I’d find, I could have retired in a warmer climate. Finding a company with a good reputation and high reviews carries more weight. Taking our word for it here is also something we take seriously. I don’t endorse many here because I’m not here as much as I used to be. One man I’ll stand behind is Randy at Ultra Windows. He’s a stand up man with a heart of gold. You can’t find anyone better in that area! There’s not a Pro here who wouldn’t endorse him and his crew. Good installers are built by great leadership. Nothing better than watching a group of seasoned installers do their job. It should flow like a well oiled machine. Not much talking unless teasing each other. You don’t need certified installers. The best ones out there are probably uncertified. I’ve been on this site since day one. Randy has earned my respect for sure. Give him a call and let him walk you through the process honorably!

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Hey Guy, welcome back. Hope you’re doing well and that you’ll continue to be an active poster here. Your experience and insights are appreciated. Thank you for your kind words as well!

Guy

#9 Post by Guy »

Retired for the most. Need some new joints in this old beat up body. My Son has taken over the family business while I collect my VA checks. Living a dream up here in the Great White North. Hope I’m finding you and your family in great health brother. I’ll try and spend more time here. Hope you have a great day!

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

I noticed on the other thread you mentioned the Marine Corps. Didn’t know you were a fellow Marine. Semper Fi brother.

Guy

#11 Post by Guy »

Oorah!