Replacement Windows - New construction vs Full frame

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
avshockey

Replacement Windows - New construction vs Full frame

#1 Post by avshockey »

I am having 9 windows replaced because of hail damage. I am trying to decide if it is better to have full frame replacement widows installed, or new construction. Would new construction be better so the installer can address any rot issues if they exist and to better insulate/seal the rough opening from rain, wind and noise? My house was built in 2000, is sided, and has 4 inch trim board surrounding the widows if that makes any difference.

Also, i had full intentions of going with Soft-Lite Imperial LS Windows, however I have 2 widows adjacent to a single hung window that are only 17.625 inches wide and have prairie grids. I am being told that due to the Imperial LS's thicker frame i cannot get the grids in that window width. Is this true? In Colorado we do not have access to Okna Windows, so my options would be Soft-Lite Pro, Milgard or Sunrise.
Would love to here your opinions.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Windows - New construction vs Full frame

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You certainly have one of the easier options to do a new construction installation with the 4" trim around the windows. Makes the disturbing of the siding a non-issue.

What are the current windows made of?

avshockey

#3 Post by avshockey »

The current windows are Milgard vinyl windows. Is it worth the extra expense going with a new construction window? If I do new construction does the interior wood trim surrounding the windows (not sure if this is called jamb extensions) have to be removed?
If the Imperial LS will not work, what is the better window between the Soft-Lite Pro and Milgard Tuscany?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

New Construction is preferable here if the extra charge isn't that much.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

On most full frame (new construction) installs, yes the interior trim comes off and may need to be replaced. Is that install more comprehensive? No doubt. Is it always worth the extra $$$? Not always, but sometimes yes. Depends on exactly what you have going on there....

As far as the windows, I'd consider going LS everywhere and the Pro only for the two narrow units. That or see if there are any other creative solutions, maybe going full frame on those units only makes sense if it gains enough width to get the grids... Just a thought. What is the installation company recommending?

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

A full frame replacement and new construction install are the same thing in my eyes. They both require a window with a nailing or mounting strip to fasten the window with. Since you have four inch trim boards around the exterior make this a no brainer. By removing those trim boards you’ll reveal the old nail fin to make the removal easy. Do not let them do pocket replacements. This is when the leave the trim boards in place and cut out the old window. We do this in certain situations but your not one of them in my eyes. The outside is easy to finish off. The inside could be easy or difficult.
From what I understand you have a wooden interior jambs and casing. For me you have the ultimate job to do. We can bang these out like no other. If ordered properly the exterior window will be exactly the same size. Should fit right back in the opening like the existing one. On the inside we pre-manufacture what we call a jamb box. This box can be stained and sealed before the install is scheduled by the homeowner or painted. The box has the trim casing already attached on the box. We make ours to fit exactly where the old one was. No added painting to cover up unpainted walls. The box has a weather seal around the inside that butts up to the new window. The box is pushed in tightly and nailed to the wall through the casing. In my younger days we could do forty windows a day with a four man crew. Now that I’m 60 I don’t have the speed I once had. Used to be Superman and now I’m just Old Man!
When finished there’s just some trim nail holes inside to paint over where needed. We putty up the holes to match stain or white to paint. I’m sure there isn’t an installer out here who doesn’t dream about getting these jobs. They make the hard ones easier!
Good Luck!!!