Awning Windows for emergency egress

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Eva10

Awning Windows for emergency egress

#1 Post by Eva10 »

I'm having a devil of a time finding a decent window manufacturer that makes awning windows which meet emergency egress standards.

We need something that has hardware which "pops off" in order to let the window be pushed all the way open. So far, I have only found that Silverline makes such a window...I'm not sure about using Silverline, having read so many negative reviews.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!!

Bobert

Re: Awning Windows for emergency egress

#2 Post by Bobert »

I doubt you will find one. The glass in an awning window, even a small one can weigh 20-30 pounds which would be too heavy for a child to safely lift or push out of the way.

What size are you needing? Do the rooms have more than one opening? If so, maybe you could use a mix of casement or awnings - they would usually share the same look from the outside. Another option maybe to mull a casement and an awning in the same opening. Size matters here no matter if you can lift it up or not.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Not often the selection for an egress window in this case because of their tendencies to be short and wide. Better selections in the slider and casement market with windows that are that shape.

Eva10

#4 Post by Eva10 »

Ok, thank you.

The space is a sleeping loft for a tiny house. The only shape of window wide enough for egress is rectangular, long in the horizontal dimension. I cannot find a casement or sliding window that would function in the space. A casement cannot be that long and narrow, and a slider would only leave 50% of the opening clear entry.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a tough spot given all of that. As discussed already, despite being the perfect shape for it, awnings are not a great choice for egress due to the operation/hardware.... Even if you find one that has some sort of quick release hardware, there is the issue of getting clanked on the head by the glass when its released, and/or gravity pinching that panel down on the person trying to get out. Kind of a death trap really...

I've never explored them for this option so I don't know if they would pass code, but something like a tilt-in slider would be a better option practically speaking.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

We’ve run into this issue a couple times. Each time we did it was with Pellas window. Pella fixed it with what we call Swing Clear Hardware. This lets the sash swing out from the opening to give you more area to meet egress codes. I’m pretty sure most manufacturers carry some kind of swing clear options for their products. I do know these swing clear pivots added an extra $200.00 per window. I’ll check around to see who might be offering these options and post back. While your shopping around just express your need for swing clear hardware to meet egress code. They should understand this request I hope. I’ve been retired for awhile and need to freshen up on some of this information. Hope this helps you in some way! I’ll be back!

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

There is a difference between being able to escape out the window during an emergency and meeting egress code typically to meet egress you have to have a clear enough opening during the normal operation of the window so being able to unhook the hinges is not part of the “normal” operation so it would not be egress in my area....... I agree with above that a tilt in slider maybe the best route for an escape but once again may not meet egress due to it not being the normal operation