Windows for steel frame home

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Eva10

Windows for steel frame home

#1 Post by Eva10 »

We have a steel frame home (new construction) and are researching what types of windows would be best.

Opinions on if residential windows and the materials they are made of (especially vinyl, wood, or the Fibrex material that Andersen offers) would be good for this home.... or if we should pursue self-framing windows made for steel industrial buildings?

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows for steel frame home

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the look you are going for. I am guessing that you are looking for slightly modern? Correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the case, thermally broken aluminum (if climate appropriate) or fiberglass would work. Where is the home being built?

Eva10

#3 Post by Eva10 »

Thanks for the response, we are building a tiny house on wheels in a "country cottage" style. Board and batten, cedar shake, etc. But the windows themselves don't have to be 100% old-world look, our home made trim will take care of that.

We are building in Pennsylvania.

I've heard that vinyl is the best choice for a home on a movable foundation? But I find that hard to believe.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Probably true. Some sort of PVC or at a minimum, a welded only type of material would be best to accommodate any joint movement.