Cutting out a foggy pane

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Softlitesucks

Cutting out a foggy pane

#1 Post by Softlitesucks »

I purchased a triple pane argon gas BS Gorell product that, surprise, failed. As many people have experienced, Softlite won't honor the warranty. Since I'm not a Rockefeller and now can't afford to replace them all, I want to try to use a glass cutter to remove one or more of the panes that have fogged over. I don't care about energy efficiency at this point since the damn things are useless anyway. I just want to look out a clear window for once.
Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions before I jump in?

toddinmn

Re: Cutting out a foggy pane

#2 Post by toddinmn »

You can use a tool that is like an offset pizza cutter , make your own out of a margin trowel and grinder or buy one. You also use an oscillating tool with an offset blade withbknow teeth, be careful since you can still cut into the vinyl . The hard part might be to get the exterior glazing need off without damaging it. IIt is a pretty simple process but I would YouTube it.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I remove all of the glass from the older failing vinyl windows that we are replacing so that the balances and any metal screws, locks, and parts in general can be removed to cut up the vinyl frames so they can be recycled. This process means removing all of that glass which is thousands of units a year. I have all of the tools that WOW mentioned and they all will work, however nothing and I mean nothing works better than a 4" angled semi-flexible putty knife. If the edges are sharp enough just take a mill file and increase the edge sharpness. It will cut through any silicone wet glazing with ease and goes right through common glazing tapes. You may need to add a little lubricate to the glass edge like Windex to help things along. Some gentle hammer strikes in the corners helps to. Wear glasses and gloves unlike me lol.....

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

Delaware Mike you and I can totally agree on the 4” Putty Knife! Mine is 30 plus years old and I’ll bring bodily harm to anyone that removes it from my nail bags! I’ve put new handles on it twice. I’ve taped it to 16’ PVC pipe to reach up and cut glazing tape on a window above a deck. The blade is worn down and flimsy just to my liking. I sharpen the edge with my hunting knife sharpener to get that perfect edge. I’m not sure if it will last many more windows but I’m pretty much retired now. I’ll hang it over my bar!

Cutting out any glass is truly a learned art form. We use glass suction cups to attach to the glass for removal and installation. Removing it without the cups can bring you great danger. If you have any fixed panels or windows high off the ground you don’t want to attempt this by yourself. We R&R glass packs all the time. You want to cut all your glazing tape before you remove the glass stops. After you cut the glazing you can pull off the stops and have someone else push the glass pack out to you. There may be small black rubber glass blocks holding the glass in place. They usually just fall out and you can reuse them where needed. Some manufacturers like mine wet glaze with silicone half way down each side and across the bottom before they snap the glass stops in place. Just another line of defense.
Please use great caution when doing this. I’ve seen some nasty cuts from people who let things get away from them.
I am curious on what you’re considering doing to the glass pack? Are you looking to remove the entire IGU and replace it or removing one of the glass plates that make up the glass pack? If you’re looking to just remove one sheet of glass I can tell you first hand it’s damn near impossible! I’ve tried many ways to trim the glass off that spacer. No matter what you’re going to do I wish you well on your journey ahead! Good Luck!!!