Replacement window SHGC question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PAJammin

Replacement window SHGC question

#1 Post by PAJammin »

I reside in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and am looking to purchase replacement windows. Of course, I want to save on my heating bill and was wondering about the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient listed on manufacturers labels found on replacement windows.

I was looking at a windows offering a U-factor of .29 and a SHGC of 0.22. Is this solar heat gain coefficient correct for my area, or should it be higher? I've seen these lower SHGC's on windows in Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Just wondering if a low SHGC saves more on winter heating bills.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement window SHGC question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not ideal for a window with that thermal data to be honest.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

You want the Ufavtor lower and the shgc higher. As far as a high quality vinyl window, there are pleny in your area. However, you will not find them at lowes or home depot.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

U-value ideally below 0.28 solar around 0.35 or higher.
They may be able to achieve these numbers with a different glass pack and upgrades spacer and foam filled frames. Lowe’s and Home Depot’s windows are not the best choices out there.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

U-value ideally below 0.28 solar around 0.35 or higher.
They may be able to achieve these numbers with a different glass pack and upgrades spacer and foam filled frames. Lowe’s and Home Depot’s windows are not the best choices out there.

Bobert

#6 Post by Bobert »

It all depends on location. The advice above is good for Pittsburgh. However you might do better with high SHGC on yours south facing, lower SHGC on east/west. If you got a lot of trees it can affect things to. Every house and location is unique.

Here is a some good info on it:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files ... indows.pdf

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Agree. I dont think you need the shgc as high as .35. I think .27-.30 would suffice.

PAJammin

#8 Post by PAJammin »

masterext wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am You want the Ufavtor lower and the shgc higher. As far as a high quality vinyl window, there are pleny in your area. However, you will not find them at lowes or home depot.
Hello Masterext,

Ok, so I'd be in search of a U-Factor of .30 or below with a combined SHGC of at least 0.35? Also, what brand(s) of replacement windows would you recommend? I'm also budgeting my $$, so I can't go to overboard on price, unfortunately.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

Ufactor .28 or lower. Shgc of .27-.30 is fine. .35 is a little high on shgc for your area in my opinion. The lower ufactor will help keep more heat inside during the winter.
Brands- Soft lite, okna, kensington, sunrise to name a few.