help. new construction or replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
duckymedwick

help. new construction or replacement windows

#1 Post by duckymedwick »

im looking at getting new composite windows and i have 20 large double hung measuring 42 by 55

most sills have plenty of damage/rot

the brick moulding is in sad shape as well on many. plenty of put your finger though kind of stuff.

i had a couple of window guys come in and say i really don't need new construction windows and they can repair the outside trim without going into more details. maybe i'm overreacting to all of this but wtf are they going to do to fix this?

i will post a few pics but this is pic is quite a bit like my problem

most of the exterior trim stuff looks like this

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... ece-called

what's my next move?

duckymedwick

Re: help. new construction or replacement windows

#2 Post by duckymedwick »

is it as simple as this for the brick moulding?

take out and put in 3.5" azeck trim?

but wut about the sill?....heavy bondo.....lol

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is the window trim being wrapped (i.e. clad)?

duckymedwick

#4 Post by duckymedwick »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 am Is the window trim being wrapped (i.e. clad)?
i don't know..i really don't want any aluminum to be seen and that wasn't discussed.

i don't know the process....i just want the azeck board to be placed where those missing trim pieces in the pic i used as an example.

i don't know how they will fix my sills? some look beyond repair

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The sills can be replaced with PVC equivalents. That will be more expensive, but take less time, than the bondo filler option.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

So the above photo isn't your correct? Yours is the photo in the link? The box stores around me do sell composite brickmould and also the sill nose which is what is in your linked photo. Fairly easy to install both. I don't think i've seen that style in the Azek brand. If yours is the photo above then 1x4 azek would do, although i'm not a big fan of workin with that material. I'd much prefer to replace them with your normal 1x4 lumber and wrap over top of them in either a high performance coated aluminum trim coil or a pvc trim coil both of which can come in several colors and his difficult to distinguish between wood if done correctly.

Also I'd hate to be the installer trying to nail a new construction nailing fin on the above photo due to the framing around the window and your likely going to get into needing interior trim work also by using that method. I'd get into more detail about what they were thinking and your expectations with the exterior