Replacement windows brands...good or poor quality?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PhotoShop

Replacement windows brands...good or poor quality?

#1 Post by PhotoShop »

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of Gentek or Vinyl Max replacement windows? Are these decent quality replacement windows, average, or junk?

Thanks

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Replacement windows brands...good or poor quality?

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Gentek is an Alside company....they sale the windows under different brands but they're all same product. Gentek, Alside, Revere & and I think their may be one or more other names but it's all the same product.

Vinyl Max is low end and aren't known for quality but known for making them very fast. They used to claim 7 days. Not sure if they still do or not. They have about 8 different lines and all of them are low end to mid grade at best. They are located in my backyard, Cincinnati, so they are readily available here & As far as I know they don't have any manufacturer direct dealers and sell mostly through lumber yards and home builders so I'd be cautious of whoever is recommending that brand and check there references and are a legit company. I'd put Alside ahead of Vinylmax but if you google Alside reviews you'll see that isn't saying much. if your looking for something basic and not too efficient or not worried about having more than a 10-15yr life span those two will fit the bill. If your looking for a better quality I'd suggest to keep looking. What area are you in ?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Basically...what he said.

Are those your only two options?

PhotoShop

#4 Post by PhotoShop »

Well, my money is budgeted at this point in time. I certainly don't want to spend $$ on low end windows and create woes. However, I do want at least a mid-grade window with a .3 U factor and a decent SHGC for my area. I'd like to save $$ on my winter heating bill. I had seen a chart stating a SHGC of around .46 for southwest PA...I have no idea if the chart was stating accurate information.

I live 50 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

You have your pick of the litter in PA. I would try to stay with something in the Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna, Kensington Quantum II, etc. type quality.