Vinyl in a Mountain Climate

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wake33

Vinyl in a Mountain Climate

#1 Post by wake33 »

Hi Everyone,

Trying to decide on a replacement window brand and material for a condo that sits at 8,400ft in the Sawatch Range of the Colorado Rockies. The sun is brutal at this elevation, and the wind blows 40+mph with regularity.

The originals are 30 yo wood clad aluminum Pellas- 12 window openings (casement, awning, picture) and 2 sliding doors. Only the sliding doors face south, and no windows on the west side. I was originally set on vinyl (soft-lite timeless elite or sunrise vanguard) as I perceived it to be a better value. Now I am considering going back with a wood clad aluminum Andersen e-series or similar due to some experienced installers telling me a vinyl window will not hold up well in this climate.

I want a window that will last 20, 30+ years with minimum maintenance. Right now I am asking opinions if a premium vinyl window will hold up in these conditions...or anything other information to help me think through this decision.

Thanks in advance. I am very grateful for all of the information that this community has to offer.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Vinyl in a Mountain Climate

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

One thing I can almost guarantee you is the wood clad windows your considering will NOT hold up that amount of time "20-30+ years" The warranty they offer says it all. If they would expect the wood to not rot in that timeframe they would have more than a 10yr warranty. They will have a 20 yr warranty on the glass but what difference does that make once they are rotted. The two vinyl manufactures your considering Sunrise and Softlite both have a lifetime warranty on there vinyl & the glass, much better air leakage ratings and thermal ratings........

So two manufactures are telling you their window will not last that long and aren't willing to back it up with their warranty...... then on the other hand you have two of the top vinyl manufacturers are saying their window WILL last and are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

My main concern in your situation would be with the glass. Extreme elevations put a lot of stress on the glass when they are manufactured in lower altitudes. I'd verify from whoever you order the windows form makes sure that the manufacture is aware of the elevation. The glass units may need breathing tubes or other special care during the manufacturing process. I know Sunrise and Anderson both use the same glass manufacturer,, Cardinal Glass, and they have a plant in Colorado so I'm sure thats fine. Not sure about Softlite

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely high performance glass and low air infiltration numbers. Vinyl will be your best bargain, composites (i.e. cellular or fiberglass) may also be a good option.

Having the glass made by a reputable manufacturer either at altitude or with equalizing capillary tubes will be a must.

I would definitely want triple pane glass and a 0.05 AI or less.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, good advice above. No real concerns about vinyl as a material, only in ensuring a quality product. The two that you mentioned are solid and will outperform wood clad in just about every metric.