Okna 500 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
T-bear

Okna 500 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

#1 Post by T-bear »

Hi Everyone,
I am currently comparing the Okna 500 to the Soft-Lite Imperial LS. I think the 600 series is a closer match to the Soft-Lite Imperial LS, but my local Okna dealer is unable to sell 600 series. The windows are double hung.
Okna 500 super deluxe triple pane with foam and with grids: U-factor 0.20, SHGC 0.23, AL 0.02, DP 50, CR 73, VT 0.37
Soft-Lite Imperial LS Triple pane with foam, 2 panes Low-e, and grids: U-factor 0.20, SHGC 0.22, AL 0.02, DP 55, CR 71, VT 0.36

The Okna is $12.00 cheaper / window than the Soft-Lite so not really a factor.

I would really love to find an Okna dealer near Altoona / western PA that could spec me a 600 series but I can't find one.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Ricknez

Re: Okna 500 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The okna 600 certainly is very solid and has the same engineering features as the soft lite LS. However, the Okna 600 has an additional interlock at the header which does help prevent sash drift. The 600 has a more narrow frame allowing more glass. That said, the LS is also a very good window. I would recommend calling Okna.
Last edited by Ricknez on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Imperial LS has a more engineered sill and slightly thicker mill thickness extrusion, however it's bulkier too in regard to visible glass and frame size. The LS was one of my number one "go to" windows for many years and I was ultimately offered the Elements, which I like more so than the LS. Those SL platforms have a little too much top sash incidental drift (unseating from head cavity) from normal operation of the bottom sash which causes lock and keeper misalignment compared to the Sunrise and OKNA lines. It's still a fantastic window, however I like the 500dx more so and that's the route I'd go.

I do like the 600 better if you can find a dealer.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

On paper, they are similar. The LS has a higher DP, but they will be nearly identical in thermals and air data after that.

As mentioned, the LS will come in a slightly thicker package here vs. the 500.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The 500 dh is a .19 u value with triple pane argon and foam.
Essentially, the 500 has a slight advantage across the board thermally, same AI, and a slight advantage then for the LS in DP. The 500 does have more glass area as mentioned as well. While the 600 is closer in terms of option content, one could make an argument that the 500 really does not play second fiddle to the LS. I'd have no qualms about choosing that window, but I'd have no qualms about any of the 3 for that matter. All excellent choices...

Unless you need a woodgrain interior I wouldn't break my back trying to find a 600 dealer if you like the guy that is selling the 500, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have another option.

Final observations:
-Any of the three are great and will serve you well. If there is not a huge price delta, I'd strongly suggest making this choice based on the installation company that you feel is the best.

-If for some reason you just don't like the 500 but like that dealer, even if they don't carry the 600 I'd have to assume that they have access to the upper lines of 800, EVO, or 1000. I'm not aware of many dealers that carry the 500 as their top choice.

T-bear

#6 Post by T-bear »

Thank you all for the feedback. I believe I am going to go with the Okna 500. I did find a dealer for the 600 series, but my initial impressions were not good. I felt very comfortable with the dealer of the 500 so I am going with him.

On another note, does anyone know if the Okna window extension jambs are PVC or wood? We really wanted to have PVC sills and jambs.

Thanks again everyone!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

To my knowledge Okna offers clear pine or primed mdf as JE choices. They may offer PVC as well, not sure... If they don't I do know that you can get the JE receiver pieces with the windows where your contractor would simply add the PVC material.