Suggestions for new double/triple pane windows in Tampa area

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jshell45

Suggestions for new double/triple pane windows in Tampa area

#1 Post by jshell45 »

We are starting the process of interviewing window replacement companies. Our home is about 25 years old and has single pane windows. We keep reading about how there is triple pane windows now. Are triple pane windows really that much better than the double pane windows? We are in the Tampa area about an hour from the coast, so I'm not sure if it is required for us to get the impact windows or not.

We definitely want to get the energy efficient windows, and probably tint on just the front windows so that people can't see in. So what I am asking is for some guidance as to what questions I should be asking the window companies so that I can compare apples to apples. We want the double-hung vinyl windows. What numbers should I be looking for in the U-Facotr, SHGC, Visible Transmittance and Condensation Resistance? And does anyone have any good recommendations for companies in the Tampa area? So far I am thinking of looking at Weather Tite, Carrollwood Windows, Karoly Windows, and West Coast Windows. Are there any rebates or tax credits these days on replacing windows?

Thanks so much for the help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Suggestions for new double/triple pane windows in Tampa area

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

On the impact vs. not, check with code enforcement in your area. Most likely not required, but something to consider if you don't have hurricane shutters.

Double vs. Triple...in you climate, you don't need triple. You are going to want a very low SHGC double pane that is good and air tight with a high DP (and possibly impact rated).

As far as who is good, tough to say. Have you tried checking with friends, family, or neighbors first for recommendations?