Okna Casement window frame thickness

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bahosh

Okna Casement window frame thickness

#1 Post by bahosh »

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to replace some double hung windows and one casement window. For the casement window in particular, I am concerned about how much glass I will end up losing. I am debating between insert replacement vs full frame install for this. For the insert replacement, I am debating between different brands. I was wondering if someone can post the width of the frame for OKNA casement windows, including the width of the insect-screen i.e.the point from the border of the window frame till the point where screen starts.

I understand that in general, the notion is that Okna has thinner frames compared to other brands. I am considering Provia Endure for double hung and am debating about the casement window (Provia Endure 7 cm vs Softlite Imperial 9 cm vs Wincore 8.5 cm vs Okna). I liked the Provia Endure casement window, but did not like the look of their insect screen as well as the mechanism by which it is held in place.

I would also appreciate if forum members would recommend any other brand's replacement casement window given my concerns above.
Many thanks in advance.

Ricknez

Re: Okna Casement window frame thickness

#2 Post by Ricknez »

the Okna will have a more narrow frame and also a better Ufactor over the provia. i like the look of the Okna casement. its a very good looking casement and also very strong.
the wincore is subpar compared to the okna and soft lite.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

An OKNA casement will have about 2 13/16" to 2 7/8" from the edge of the frame to the inside of the screen framing depending if one is measure side or top/bottom. I don't care for the frame design, weatherstripping, or much else on the ProVia casements. Engineering blunder in my opinion. I don't know the full Wincore line up of different series. The units that I've installed (double hung) were some of the lowest quality windows I've seen to date.

I really like the OKNA casement and the Soft-Lite casement is also nice. Sunrise makes a real nice casement with very slim frame and sash profile. I don't feel in double hung territory that the ProVia Endure is of the engineering and quality level of the OKNA 600/800 series. We just did some Endure DH units in triple-glazing with tempered glass and it was a smaller sized unit and they very hard to lift and lower to operate. Not sure what was up but I have ProVia's best balances opted for on the order?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to pretty much everything said by Delaware Mike. I concur on the measurements, and I'd add that the narrow screenframe on the Okna complements the already narrow frame nicely. Some quote only frame to glass without considering the screen, kudos to you for thinking of that.
I'd agree overall with DM's thoughts on the other products as well. Similar experience and perceptions.

bahosh

#5 Post by bahosh »

Thank you so much Delaware Mike, Homesealed and Ricknez, greatly appreciate your inputs!

Regarding Double Hung windows from Provia, one of the dealers (who sells both Provia and Softlite) showed me an article from remodelingmag.com It showed that this year, Provia was rated #1 in quality by installers in 2019.It was May-June 2019 issue, page 52 of the magazine. The summary of the conversation was that for double hung, while Soft-lite Imperial (and OKNA 500-800) are stronger windows, one would get more bank for the bucks from Provia. Soft-lite prices have increased signifciantly over last couple of years. I liked the appearance of OKNA's casement window. I was not thrilled by the 4 push pins in the insect screen. However, it seems that I may not have too many choices for a good casement window. I will check out the casement window from Sunrise. If I like that one, then I may run into a different problem. I might have to find an installer who would be willing to install different brands.:-( It seems that most dealers carry only couple of brands.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I wouldn't conflate the rating from Contractors with a long term review of a product. Contractor ratings are mostly going to be about those aspects of "support" of the contractor. To that extent, Provia is quite good. Things like warranty, technical questions, service inquiries, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean a product is better than another.

Make no mistake, Provia is a quality brand and a well run company. No doubt about that. They are, however, a brand new window company and I know of a couple of dealers that have switched to them, and switched back as well.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments... I'd add that while I'm not finding the article to be able to brush up, if I recall there was no mention of the other brands such as Softlite and Okna. Given that the article is taken from "contractors" generally speaking, the products with the most feedback are generally those that are most widely available through supply houses, box stores, etc. I'm not sure about other markets, but Provia is available in every supply house in town around here...

For the purposes of that article/"award", that basically puts it against your Simonton's, Plygem, Alside brands, etc. It is indeed the cream of that crop, it just falls short of the quality of the more exclusive, dealer direct type products IMO.

As far as casements go, Sunrise and Okna are my top two, but Softlite is very good, and again, the Provia is no slouch. I just always worry about when good companies get into producing an entirely new product. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes not.

bahosh

#8 Post by bahosh »

Thank you WoW and Homesealed!

Based on all the forum members' recommendations as well as what I have learnt from the forum, i am going to go with Okna for double hung and Sunrise or Okna for Casement. The only issue is that I am not sure whether the local dealer of Sunrise would have a casement in their showroom (their website does not even list Sunrise). I am going to pay them a visit and see if they have it on display. My main concerns are the thickness of the frame(including the screen) as well as the design of the screen. Is it true that the Sunrise Casement window costs $100 to $125 more compared to Okna?

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The cost of the window will come down to the dealer. You may find the Okna costing more.

bahosh

#10 Post by bahosh »

Thanks Toddinmn!

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1... The price will definitely vary by dealer. I'd also mention that it would be ideal to choose one product brand for consistency, warranty, etc, unless you have some major reason not to do so.