Could use a friendly pointer here...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
doug99

Could use a friendly pointer here...

#1 Post by doug99 »

I know next to nothing about construction or window framing or vinyl windows, but I love to dig holes for myself and then learn my way out, so....

I removed a rotting wood (1950's?) window in my garage and purchased a used Habitat for Humanity Vinyl window ($80) to install.

My problem is that it seems the window that I bought is an odd style. What I mean is that most of the instructions I find on the web seem to be geared towards vinyl windows that have a nailing flange or a similar design where the windows is fastened to the studs from the outside. The window I bought does not install that way.

The window I bought looks like this on the outsideImage. Is there a name for this style I can google?

The question I have is what do I need to build in terms of a sill for this window? The hole it's going in to looks like this Image

I'm happy to read up on how to frame and install this, just can't find anything that seems to apply. all links welcome thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Could use a friendly pointer here...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You okay with changing the trim details on the exterior or creating a new type reveal?

doug99

#3 Post by doug99 »

I'm OK with doing whatever is needed to get them installed. Appearance of the exterior or even interior isn't that important to me - just want to get them installed "properly" in a way that everything is properly sealed on the outside.

What is the purpose of that beveled ridge that runs the perimeter on the outside?

doug99

#4 Post by doug99 »

Duplicate deleted

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The beveled ridge is the screen track. You purchase a window made for pocket replacement installation (no nail fin, 3.25" frame depth). You can install this window into a rough opening by fastening through the jambs (there should be pre-drilled holes), but the bigger concern will be making this water tight with the flashing and exterior trim as WoW seemed to be alluding to. Typically that requires access to a brake and the knowledge of how to use it...

Another option though would be to locate some snap in nail fin. The grooves on the exterior face (perimeter) of teh window can accept a snap in fin, and then you'd be able to install via conventional "new construction" methods.