Cost of repairing wood sash

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Frizzinda

Cost of repairing wood sash

#1 Post by Frizzinda »

Hello
I am a first time buyer and am in the process of buying a flat within a grade 2 listed building with original wood sash windows. My homebuyers survey has flagged up that the windows are in urgent need of repair/replacement and was hoping for some advice on the potential cost? There are only two windows to fix and would also like to have them double glazed to improve efficiency. Also as the flat is on the top floor and tricky to access without scaffolding can this work be done from inside the flat? I would aim to have the work done before moving in.

Many thanks for any advice you can give :)

toddinmn

Re: Cost of repairing wood sash

#2 Post by toddinmn »

You need to get bids. With only 2 windows and unknown variables my guesstimate would be pretty much irrelevant

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you required to stay with wood?

Frizzinda

#4 Post by Frizzinda »

Yes the vendor has said the conservation area requires the windows need to remain identical to the original wood

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is it just the sash that is buggered or is there more rot. You might need to look into what is called a "Sash Kit".

Frizzinda

#6 Post by Frizzinda »

I think it’s just the sills outside that need some maintenance from what I could see the paint has worn away and the wood is damaged but not beyond repair. I think they can be salvaged.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Sills are pretty easy to repair or even replace on windows up to the 60’s or so, after that they can become more difficult but not always. Some pics would better help diagnose.