Egress...color matching...casements...oh my

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JGB20

Egress...color matching...casements...oh my

#1 Post by JGB20 »

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this board. Has made a big difference in this window project.

We are replacing about half our windows. They have wood rot, efficient and a couple do not open at all. They are all casement style windows. Our initial plan was to change to double hung. Partly due to the cost savings. Had 2 companies come out and gave us quotes for our double-hungs. One sold Simonton 5500s and the other Okna 600s (not happy with salesguy who sold Okna). 3rd guy comes out and says he can't change to double hung because of egress. We are replacing 6 windows in 3 upstairs bedrooms. Did my own research and saw that this is true. Need 5.7 sq ft when the window is open. He also said that he would prefer to do a full frame installation. At this point I am feeling pretty confident I am going to use this company. Had a fourth company come out. He doesn't see a problem with installing double hung windows and there is no egress issue. He calls the owner and based on the call seems like he thinks what I am saying about not being able to switch to double hung is crazy. Has me questioning whether or not the 3rd company is correct. I do more research and am still convinced we must stick with casement style due to egress. So at this point I have basically 2 quotes for windows as I am only considering the casement and slider options. The other problem is we are having trouble finding colors to match our house. Our trim is a blue/gray and our siding is a light gray. No tan or white anywhere on the home.

Company 1: Mfg: Provia Endure fiberglass reinforced windows. Full Frame Installation. New interior jambs and interior casing. Casements on front of home (5 windows) and sliders on back of home (4 windows). Contour grill between glass. Painted sterling gray $9164 or a custom color to match my trim of my choosing $9811.

Company 2: Mfg: Polaris Elite 2. Replacement only - will fix wood rot and wrap in aluminum. Casements on front of home (5 windows) and sliders on back of home (4 windows). Contoured grids. Two-tone: white interior/gray exterior. Total: $9582
Add triple pane: $720

Size of Openings:
Upstairs Room 1: 55.25 x 57.5 (currently have 2 casements, replacing with casements)
Upstairs Room 2 & 3: same size 55.25 x 45.5 (currently have 2 casements-switching to sliders in each room)
Dining Room: 69.25 x 70.50 (currently have 2 casements and a picture window- keeping this config.)

Would appreciate it if you could share thoughts on my quotes and any other issues we are facing (egress, color matching, etc). Thanks!
Last edited by JGB20 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

Re: Egress...color matching...casements...oh my

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Code here is you can replace like for like, so if you had double hungs you could put double hungs back in. You can not change to style of window that would have a less clear opening then what you are replacing. That would mean no double hungs if you had casements but you could go casements if you had double hungs. Rules can be more strict in some areas The pricing seems fair on the Endures but I am not familiar with there casements. Typically casements don’t have fiberglass reinforcement, but maybe the Endures do? White is pretty common even if doesn’t match the trim or siding, the beige is less so, and painted is expensive , but you’re Only doing it once. May want to consider no grids? Usually any frame rot can be prepares. Full frames are more labor intensive and reduce loss of glass area I would expect this to add $200 per window minimum .

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Todd's comments on the code, as well as that you should check in your city. They can make their rules more strict or interpret things in their own way... But again, you should be able to replace like for like and be "grandfathered" if under the egress minimum. Can't likely change though from something that currently meets code to something that doesn't.
The Provia and Polaris are both solid choices. On pricing there are many factors that will contribute. Keep in mind though that full frames are expensive so that provia quote doesn't sound out of line on the surface. Not seeing a price on the Polaris?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Agree with the others. You should easily be able to go from double hung to casement. New construction does add a lot to the cost so the provia quote is not off base at all. Polaris cost ?? Are you located in ohio ?

JGB20

#5 Post by JGB20 »

I have edited the original post to include the Polaris cost. So we currently have casements and were thinking of switching but now we are going to stick with casements and sliders due to egress. We are in Kentucky.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The Endure is better priced for sure fit to the full year out. The loss of glass area will be minimal and is worth considering since you may lose more than you think with inserts. Not sure able it the Endure casements, thought they maybe had a real bulky looking screen frame but I am not sure. The Polaris is a pretty solid windowmaybe others will share there opinion of the Endure.

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The Polaris casement is one of the better quality casements I’ve seen. I used to install them and they are well designed with a quality screen. If I can recall the screen on the casement for ProVia was kinda cheap looking with the clips. The Okna is a quality product as well but if you don’t like the company then I’d say pass. (your stuck with them forever)... you may also want to check for a Sunrise dealer they have a great casement and nice full frame system if that’s what your looking for. Of the windows you listed I prefer the Polaris casement over the others