Window contractor says not to use expanding foam?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Sebrox

Window contractor says not to use expanding foam?

#1 Post by Sebrox »

Hi,
I asked my window contractor if he used expanding foam when doing the new window installation (Simonton Stormbreaker Plus Impact Windows) and he said no. He said that the expanding foam can warp the window frame and it is not recommended. He said he uses something else but I can't remember if it had a name but it sounded like it was like weatherstripping material that he packs between the window and window opening. Can you experts help me please? Is this true? Is he telling me B/S? Should I demand to have expanding foam? Thanks!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window contractor says not to use expanding foam?

#2 Post by masterext »

Low expanding foam for windows will not warp a window, its made just for windows and doors. Its also the best at insulating. Is he bs’in you? He is probably just uninformed.
Does he use backer rod ?

WindowsDirectCinci

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Spray foam is the best at R-value as well as extra weather protection. I have seen windows that haven't been caulked or trimmed for several years and only had spray foam sealing it. Some contractors are stuck in there ways and I'd assume this is the case here. Fiberglass (the pink insulation that looks like cotton candy), Polyfoam wrap which comes attached to the window, and spray foam are about the only methods im aware of. Spray foam wins hands down and I'd make sure to request this. It can get messy if your contractor isn't familiar with it though

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I agree with the guys, foam is best. Not sure I’d recommend forcing a contractor who’s never used it before to start with your house though.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Agree with all of the above... Foam is best and is no concern at all when properly applied. A few years ago its something that only forward thinking companies used, but its pretty standard these days. I agree with the comment that he's not likely BS'ing you, just probably an old timer that is stuck in his ways. Maybe tried it once and made a mess so he doesn't like it or something..

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

All I got to say is if he was going to foam the Windows in make sure they have a foam gun, maybe turn it down to very low setting if he is a newbie. If they break out the cans with just the tip included stop them right there, I can’t even get those sobs to work without a mess.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

All great feedback here above me. All the pros hit all the points that needed to be covered perfectly.

Sebrox

#8 Post by Sebrox »

My contractor said he uses novaflex.
Is that a good product?
It looks like that is just caulk, do all windows need something more than caulk or is sometimes caulk is all you need?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

In all fairness, we know nothing about the install. What i can say is we always prefer foam unless the gap is too narrow for foam to fit. Your contractor may be very good and you are the one that hired him. Perhaps you could of asked him prior to hiring him? Unless its someething we know is incorrect, its unfair for us to plant seeds while the job is being done.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Novaflex by Novaguard is probably the best of the silicone exterior sealants out there. Very nice stuff. I'd bet the contractor likes it because it doesn't really shrink like some common one-part poly or blends like OSI Quad. It wipes right off one's fingers if tooling of the caulk bead is utilized, doesn't have an order like lower grade silicone's. If I'm not mistaken, it's marine approved too. One can run smaller beads with it without worrying about it shrinking creating gaps or water breaches. It's the easiest sealant for a newbie to start learning with by the way. This all sounds great, almost too good to be true? Well it is.

I've never seen a sealant get so dirty so fast. The contractor puts a white window in with white capping and the exterior looks amazing. Fast forward 1-year and that white bead of Novaflex is now brown due to it's silicone skin properties of attracting air born dust, dirt, pollen, whatever! I can use the stuff for that reason. It's great for blind caulking, sealing underneath doors to thresholds, and any other use. If you're a neat freak and will wash your capping and sealant beads annually, I'd say go Novaflex. My homeowners aren't going to go for that.

I used thousands of tubes of white Novaflex from 2005-2008 and when I drive by one of those projects now I'm like "REALLY!" Nice black ring around my white capping..............................

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Beside being best practice window and door foam as mentioned by two pros above who have field experience stated it must be applied correctly.
So.. the correct product must be selected and applied correctly.
You can bow widows and doors with low expansion foam. Do not completely fill the cavity! The foam needs room to expand. Use a pro gun for control.
theWindowNerd.com