Is expanding foam needed for replacement installs?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Sebrox

Is expanding foam needed for replacement installs?

#1 Post by Sebrox »

I asked a previous question but possibly worded it wrong. I have a block house downstairs and frame upstairs with stucco around every window. The replacement impact windows were custom measured and ordered. So, will spray foam be needed or is that mainly used for new homes? I think maybe there is a difference between a new window installation and a replacement window installation. Sorry, just learning the differences.
Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Is expanding foam needed for replacement installs?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the gaps are tight, SPF might not be an option, but some sort of backer rod or sealant is a must as a default.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The size of the gap is more influential than the type of install... but either way your contractor should be sealing between the window and opening with either the foam or caulk where too tight. Backer rod and a fat bead of caulk can work as well

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Closed cell low expansion window and door foam is best practice and first choice.
Reality as mentioned above sometimes allows for variance.
theWindowNerd.com

tomweber

#5 Post by tomweber »

Sebrox wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am I asked a previous question but possibly worded it wrong. I have a block house downstairs and frame upstairs with stucco around every window. The replacement impact windows were custom measured and ordered. So, will spray foam be needed or is that mainly used for new homes? I think maybe there is a difference between a new window installation and a replacement window installation. Sorry, just learning the differences. five nights at freddy's
Thanks
I've installed many windows and have always used foam. I do run into the occasional stuck window, but it's usually not the norm. And it's usually nothing that can't be fixed. Done carefully without stuffing the jambs I've found spray foam to be quite effective.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Spray foam is so easy to use (with proper gun) there is no other way to go. I could see using caulk at points where it is to tight foam, but not all points are that tight and the sill typically always has room for foam . Backer rod is alright but just doesn’t make sense imo.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Always foam unless the gap is too tight.