Replace Sash or whole unit

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AWCM

Replace Sash or whole unit

#1 Post by AWCM »

My house is in Northern Virginia built in 2002. I have 4 west facing windows on the front of the house that radiate heat in the afternoon so i'm looking at options. Currently installed Plygem 2400 series builder grade and have a quote to replace the sashes with Low E 2200 series.

Questions:

Was told the 2400 series is no longer available so I assume that these 2200 series sashes will fit my current frames. Is this a good option? Are these windows actually replacement windows or new construction series? They are dated 2002 but why would this type be installed in new construction?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replace Sash or whole unit

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the windows are otherwise okay, why not just put a film on them. If Solar Heat Gain is your biggest concern, some of the films from 3M are quite good at that.

The idea of investing money in nearly 18 year old builder's windows is not great investment math in my book.

AWCM

#3 Post by AWCM »

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately my wife doesn't like the look of film. I tried that on our storm door and had to remove it. Also tried solar screen but that made the rooms too dark.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t think the sashes would fit, I would check with Ply-Gem.you could just replace the glass, but I would agree with just replacing the unit.

AWCM

#5 Post by AWCM »

The replacement sashes are from Ply-Gem so should fit. If I go that route I'll verify with them.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Buying 2 sashes is rapidly approaching the cost of a window.
I would imagine the Sashes you have now have a low-E coating on them? Keep in mind there multiple different types of window tints just as there are low-E glass packages. It may be worth checking out some of 3m’s offerings , they quite a few.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My first thought is like the other pros, find a 3M film dealer, or what the other company Lumar.
Do your current windows have low e?
Besides the solar heat control would you want anything else out of the project? Do they seem air tight?
Another option is the use of window treatments to control the heat.

theWindowNerd.com

AWCM

#8 Post by AWCM »

Can't figure out how to post a photo but this is the label.

8/28/02 24DH20826A-AF
2862 2400 NON-J DH EQUAL 33 3/4 X 76 3/4 WHITE
9 X 9 GRILL 3/4" CLEAR 625136 625136.001

Pretty sure it has now Low-E coating and the seals don't look very good on some of them.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I would guess they are clear also. Back in 2002 almost all windows came with Low-E . Just be aware that there are many different Low-E glass packs usually available. You may want one that blocks more solar energy but they typically are a little darker.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I know you are interested in the glass and trying to figure out what is best. Also consider the spacer, since you dove into this pool may as well swim around, non metallic spacer< XL, or stainless steel.
theWindowNerd.com

AWCM

#11 Post by AWCM »

I doubt the original glass is Low-E. Even today that is listed as an option with the builders grade. I have reached out to Ply-Gem but don't expect to hear from them until nest week.
If I decide to replace these 4 windows and possibly the others as well, what would be a good replacement at a reasonable cost in the Fredericksburg, VA area? Also, will there be any noticeable difference in performance upgrading from a dual pane builders grade circa 2002. Need to stick with the same look per HOA rules.
Wish I had access to a thermal camera.
Thanks again.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A pro that has commented on your thread may serve your are, Windows on Washington, give them a call if you can.
If you do not have low e then the right low e a package will make a huge difference.
Also you should look for the draft free window you can get. These are all thing Eric and his team at WOW will help you find.

uncle eddie

#13 Post by uncle eddie »

There is almost no circumstance where it makes sense to spend money on 18 year old builder grade windows. You've already cheated the window reaper by getting them to last this long. Start looking at replacement, even if you try to squeeze a little more time out o them.