Changes to Starmark 900

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ricknez

Re: Changes to Starmark 900

#46 Post by Ricknez »

toddinmn wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:52 am I was questioning the 60% number mostly, But mostly arguing for the sake of arguing.
You really need a new hobby. “Arguing for the sake of arguing”. Why even do that.

facesnorth

#47 Post by facesnorth »

So, thoughts on comparison of quality of Provia Aeris vs Starmark? My reading suggests that Provia makes a better door than window. Is there a better quality and performing window with paintable interior?

I want something that would have ROI and be appealing to a buyer in the future (although we have no plans to leave, I don't want to lock myself into staying because of a bad investment decision).

Windows on Washington

#48 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you don't want to lock yourself in, what color are you considering painting the interiors?

toddinmn

#49 Post by toddinmn »

I would maybe worry about some of those thin wood laminates and how they would hold up to moisture. I would consider triple panes perhaps. I don’t have 1st hand experience with these type products, just thinking out loud.
The one thing I don’t with the Aeris is there high air infiltration numbers, even the picture and casements have unusually high numbers that are inferior to many low end brands of windows. The jambliners are not concealed either which looks a little old school. Hayfield makes a paintable interior.

facesnorth

#50 Post by facesnorth »

I think my wife would prefer a black interior right now, and assuming we could not paint it that would be my first choice for non-paintable. For outdoor just white.

I'm not excited to hear mention of thin wood laminate, old school jamb liners, nor high air infiltration numbers. That's kind of why I'm still in limbo trying to decide where to go here.

toddinmn

#51 Post by toddinmn »

maybe something like the Marvin Elevate/ wood Ultrex?
I would always recommend getting something prefinished if you can. There is a lot of headache involved when you have to do it yourself correct chave another contractor do it.

TheWindowNerd

#52 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Todd, nice recommendation , the Elevate, even the Essential do they do that with split finish white ext black interior?
I think on the Elevate it is an ebony stain for the interior.

facesnorth

#53 Post by facesnorth »

From what I've seen Marvin makes the nicest looking product with a paintable interior. I asked my Aeris dealer to send quotes as they also sell Marvin. He didn't even send me the quote after he visited even though I asked for it, because he thought it would be out of range (we felt the Aeris was too expensive already).

Windows on Washington

#54 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the Aeris was pricey...the Marvin will be pricey'er...by a good bit.

toddinmn

#55 Post by toddinmn »

The Essential would be cheapest MArvin option. You could look at the Andersen 400 but they would have a dark grey visible jamb liner I believe. Might have reevaluate your budget or make sacrifices. I think the would have been coming in a little pricy , then add the cost of a prefinished product.

HomeSealed

#56 Post by HomeSealed »

facesnorth wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:27 pm The bubble will have to break and at these rates I'm not even able to recoup through either energy savings nor equity value increase in my market.
I hope so as well, but as I alluded to earlier, I'm not sure that there are enough young people coming up that want these jobs even at the high rate of pay. If this "bubble is to break", it may only be with a major downturn in the economy which would obviously not be good either... Only time will tell...

I don't agree on the ROI though. Windows return 70-75% or so in your home's value, and the energy savings are a bonus. In contrast, the latest Cost vs Value report from Remodeling magazine puts a major $100k+ kitchen remodel at under 70% and no additional energy savings to supplement that. By your logic, you may want to forego any home improvements at all, however perhaps that is exactly what you were saying.

On the window comparison, Starmark is on another level from the Aeris. The performance is elite. The Aeris is a nice option for a prefinished wood interior at a good price, it is meant to beat real wood window products in that area and with similarly suspect performance. The interior is more than just a laminate film, it is real wood with some "meat" to it. That said, if you are going painted black interior, I'd try to avoid real wood altogether and opt for a synthetic paintable interior... It sounds like the old Starmark with paintable laminate is exactly what you are looking for! Lol.

facesnorth

#57 Post by facesnorth »

Yes unfortunately old Starmark *is* exactly what I want. In every way.

So the Marvin Elevate is actually about the same price or a bit cheaper than the Endure (unfinished vs pre finished though). They don't do the SDL grid interiors in black so he suggested we do the painting...

Marvin is at least a brand I can get behind and feel good about. Is the quality better than Endure? I realize it's not Starmark level. Do even the Ultimates perform or have as good a build quality as the Starmarks?

TheWindowNerd

#58 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not know what the AI is for the Elevate, we have installed many of them and people love them.
They are a little more difficult to install correctly, they have no jamb jacks
In my market, Philly, I sell the 800DX for $702 with GBG, the Elevate will be $1400.

HomeSealed

#59 Post by HomeSealed »

facesnorth wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm Yes unfortunately old Starmark *is* exactly what I want. In every way.

So the Marvin Elevate is actually about the same price or a bit cheaper than the Endure (unfinished vs pre finished though). They don't do the SDL grid interiors in black so he suggested we do the painting...

Marvin is at least a brand I can get behind and feel good about. Is the quality better than Endure? I realize it's not Starmark level. Do even the Ultimates perform or have as good a build quality as the Starmarks?
Do you mean Aeris, or Endure? Endure is the vinyl offering, Aeris is the wood interior from Provia. The main delta as you alluded to will be the unf vs pref between a Marvin Elevate and the Aeris. You could get quotes for painting, but figure somewhere around $200 ea, maybe give or take $50... Neither is an excellent performer, both seem pretty well built. I've installed both with good success, although we tend to get more calls on drafts from the Marvin product. That said, the Elevate has little nicer look and feel along with the Marvin name behind it of course.

facesnorth

#60 Post by facesnorth »

Can I get objective thoughts on a December or January install vs a spring/fall install?

My feeling is that the caulk won't cure properly below a certain temperature. Nor does spray foam behave. And installers will also be more rushed so to the cold air and shorter days.

I'm liking the Elevate right now but thinking about when to schedule. I'm traveling in November and I think it's too late to get an install before we leave. December might be ok but it's hard to tell yet.

I'm in the Poconos and it can even snow here in late October, certainly November and December.