Changes to Starmark 900

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
facesnorth

Re: Changes to Starmark 900

#61 Post by facesnorth »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 pm
facesnorth wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm Yes unfortunately old Starmark *is* exactly what I want. In every way.

So the Marvin Elevate is actually about the same price or a bit cheaper than the Endure (unfinished vs pre finished though). They don't do the SDL grid interiors in black so he suggested we do the painting...

Marvin is at least a brand I can get behind and feel good about. Is the quality better than Endure? I realize it's not Starmark level. Do even the Ultimates perform or have as good a build quality as the Starmarks?
Do you mean Aeris, or Endure? Endure is the vinyl offering, Aeris is the wood interior from Provia. The main delta as you alluded to will be the unf vs pref between a Marvin Elevate and the Aeris. You could get quotes for painting, but figure somewhere around $200 ea, maybe give or take $50... Neither is an excellent performer, both seem pretty well built. I've installed both with good success, although we tend to get more calls on drafts from the Marvin product. That said, the Elevate has little nicer look and feel along with the Marvin name behind it of course.
Yes I meant the Aeris. Well can't say I'm thrilled to hear the Elevate isn't a great performer. Is the Starmark the only great performer out there?

Looks are important, too, very even. But I won't be happy if I'm feeling any drafts.

WindowsDirectCinci

#62 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Better not hold off for to long before something else gets discontinued 😂 jk.... we install all year round and don’t have any issues. The caulk we use has a range down to like -30 degrees. Generally the installers will leave the caulk in the house until ready to be applied to keep warm and it cures just fine.

HomeSealed

#63 Post by HomeSealed »

Caulk and foam is no problem if the proper products are used and kept warm in the vehicle until needed. Really comes down to the installers being comfortable... Up here in the frozen tundra our guys are fine working in the teens and above, sometimes a little cooler or warmer depending on the job specifics. In another area if guys are used to a "cold day" being 40, they may be no good at 25. Its relative that way... But in general, no real restriction on time of year, but there can be day to to day type of thing based on temp and conditions. Certainly there are more "workable" days in October than there are in February

uncle eddie

#64 Post by uncle eddie »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm Better not hold off for to long before something else gets discontinued 😂 jk.... we install all year round and don’t have any issues. The caulk we use has a range down to like -30 degrees. Generally the installers will leave the caulk in the house until ready to be applied to keep warm and it cures just fine.
Or before Sunrise goes bankrupt due to its chaotic and everchanging ownership and management, along with increasing and crippling service issues! :lol: :lol: :lol: jk, jk. I agree though, no problem installing in cold weather, you should be fine facesnorth. Also appears as though you've eliminated sunrise from consideration, so that's progress as well. Jk again though, seriously! :lol:

facesnorth

#65 Post by facesnorth »

Fair enough. I'm leaning towards the Elevate at the moment. Waiting to hear how much a triple pane upgrade would cost but the double panes with SDL grids top only came out to about 1k each installed with white vinyl exterior and unfinished paintable interior.

Not thrilled to hear about some performance complaints so I'm still hoping to get a suggestion that shows me a product I haven't been exposed to yet. Or maybe Okna will come to their senses.

toddinmn

#66 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe Inlune Fiberglass ?

WindowsDirectCinci

#67 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

uncle eddie wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:10 pm
WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm Better not hold off for to long before something else gets discontinued 😂 jk.... we install all year round and don’t have any issues. The caulk we use has a range down to like -30 degrees. Generally the installers will leave the caulk in the house until ready to be applied to keep warm and it cures just fine.
Or before Sunrise goes bankrupt due to its chaotic and everchanging ownership and management, along with increasing and crippling service issues! :lol: :lol: :lol: jk, jk. I agree though, no problem installing in cold weather, you should be fine facesnorth. Also appears as though you've eliminated sunrise from consideration, so that's progress as well. Jk again though, seriously! :lol:
Come to Cincinnati to see my operation. What you’ll see is about 12k sq ft with about 600 sunrise windows, 8 crews going out daily and about 15 sashes for service mostly all from another manufacturer. Also Sunrise wouldn’t have just added like 100k sq ft to there facility if it was like you suggest

toddinmn

#68 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:31 pm Maybe Inline Fiberglass ?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#69 Post by masterext »

“Come to Cincinnati to see my operation. What you’ll see is about 12k sq ft with about 600 sunrise windows, 8 crews going out daily and about 15 sashes for service mostly all from another manufacturer. Also Sunrise wouldn’t have just added like 100k sq ft to there facility if it was like you suggest”
[/quote]

Windowsdirectcincy
You seem to have a big operation and a solid business. Keep up the good work !

uncle eddie

#70 Post by uncle eddie »

That's fabulous windowsdirect. Congratulations on your success. Hopefully all of the issues that Sunrise is having don't effect you too terribly in the future. Is Delman in or out these days? Which side of the bed did he wake up on? What is the name of the holding company that owns Sunrise now, I forgot? Have you seen instances where a privately owned, quality manufacturers that made a good product sold off to bankers and the quality, performance, and innovation improved or even stayed steady? I'll wait.

WindowsDirectCinci

#71 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

uncle eddie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 am That's fabulous windowsdirect. Congratulations on your success. Hopefully all of the issues that Sunrise is having don't effect you too terribly in the future. Is Delman in or out these days? Which side of the bed did he wake up on? What is the name of the holding company that owns Sunrise now, I forgot? Have you seen instances where a privately owned, quality manufacturers that made a good product sold off to bankers and the quality, performance, and innovation improved or even stayed steady? I'll wait.
Edward. They were bought out almost 10 years ago. If they were going to run it into the ground they would have already. Instead they’ve added An extremely large amount to there facility. Every single change I’ve seen to the product has been an improvement, while other manufacturers when they send out a news blast about product changes it almost always points to cost cutting. Why would there dealers continue to pay premium prices for there products if it was how you claim. I’ve seen the dealer prices for all the premium brands usually recommended on these boards and Sunrise definitely won’t win a low price contest. I’ve sold several manufacturers in the last 12 years and sunrise has definitely been easy to work with in all aspects.. I’m not going to comment further, your spewing without any knowledge and stating reckless opinion.

facesnorth

#72 Post by facesnorth »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:31 pm Maybe Inline Fiberglass ?
This product looks impressive. I am not sure how practical it would be though being that it is made in Canada. I don't see any dealers in this area that install it.

toddinmn

#73 Post by toddinmn »

I am not familiar with this product, but some of the others here have more direct experience with Inline. Perhaps they’ll come in.

toddinmn

#74 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 am I am not familiar with this product, but some of the others here have more direct experience with Inline. Perhaps they’ll chime in.

TheWindowNerd

#75 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do believe that the Elevate is more install critical to get best performance. It seals edge of sash to frame , no face of sash to frame.

I tried to be an InLine dealer, visited the plant, sold several jobs. They are not easy to deal with, freight is a seperate price and is international. The product had issues, service was very difficult. They think and act Canadian, it is like island time.