Changes to Starmark 900

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
facesnorth

Re: Changes to Starmark 900

#16 Post by facesnorth »

Nearly all my windows are double hung, so I'm really only looking to compare high performing double hung windows with paintable interiors. (SDL grids are also a requirement)

I've got a Provia Aeris dealer coming out to visit in 2 weeks (the delay being due to my schedule), so I'm going to take a look at a sample and get a quote. They also sell/install Marvin Integrity which I believe would be perfect but almost definitely out of my price range.

I also see Restorations has a paintable interior, but if their double hung is only "decent" I'm not sure I should consider it, as it's fairly pricey.

Any other products I should be looking at?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

Restorations is a top tier window. Its a heck of a lot better than decent. Its a top offering.

toddinmn

#18 Post by toddinmn »

What makes this window top tier?
The air infiltration numbers and U-values with the same glass do not reflect this.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

reasonable question

uncle eddie

#20 Post by uncle eddie »

The more I see the sunrise window, the less I like it. I hear absolute horror stories from their dealers. Seems like lots of chaos over there and it has been for a few years now. Publicly they say all is wonderful, I guess you have to if that is the window that you sell, but it sure seems like they have more issues than most right now.

jhoney

#21 Post by jhoney »

I still think it's crazy they dropped the paintable interior. The Starmark is a pricey, high-end vinyl replacement window. Who's buying Starmarks and not wanting to pain them to match their interior? It's crazy how limited the options are now with just the 4 unpaintable finishes. I'm guessing the orders were low on it, but they don't necessarily want to lose that business and are hoping those customers are willing to compromise on the non-paintable interiors. But in a year when they realize customers are choosing other options, they'll re-add it. I don't really want to wait a year or 2 for that to happen though as I need windows now.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#22 Post by masterext »

When okna first came out with starmark, the only option was a stainable interior. I never remember anyone painting the interior white when the window comes standard in white. When okna came out with the new interior woodgrain colors, their orders for stainable/ paintable interiors dropped tremendously. No one needed to stain with the new woodgrain options, thats the purpose of offering woodgrains options: the customer doesnt need to stain!
As far as painting the interior white, that was always a rare circumstance since the window inself is already white.
The 4 woodgrains pretty much match up with most woodgrain colors customers have in their home. Not being able to match with one of their woodgrain options can happen but its kind of rare. Their new composite is pricey but nice. Its called Evo.

toddinmn

#23 Post by toddinmn »

Perhaps paint you’re trim to match the window?
The problem as always with woodgrain laminates, at least for me is they almost never match existing trim. The wood grain usually does not match the grain of the trim either. When I match stained wood windows to trim I have a color deck with 30 stain colors and sometimes. I still need to mix a custom stain. When it comes to white wood windows, 9 times out of 10 I use my stock white .

masterext

#24 Post by masterext »

I beg to differ Todd. I find that many of Okna’s woodgrains match up quite well with pre existing trim. I would imagine Sunrise and Soft Lite have good woodgrains.

WindowsDirectCinci

#25 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

uncle eddie wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am The more I see the sunrise window, the less I like it. I hear absolute horror stories from their dealers. Seems like lots of chaos over there and it has been for a few years now. Publicly they say all is wonderful, I guess you have to if that is the window that you sell, but it sure seems like they have more issues than most right now.
Funny because i have no issues with the product, service, or deliveries and don't see or notice any chaos with them. I have other accounts I could easily sell but have no reason to since I think they have the best product in regard to the main criteria customers want. Performance, options, beauty and service. Don't recall having to replace 1 seal failure in last 3-4 years and some other the other vendors with duralite have been a pia for me with seals breaking within first 3-6 months, im still paying for those every month. Not saying all duralite is bad and is likely assembled better at some window manufacturers, but there is a lot to be said about getting IG units from Cardinal who are the true pros in that arena

TheWindowNerd

#26 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not that it applies to the OP.
But, WindowsDirectCinci comment on seal failure rings true.

uncle eddie

#27 Post by uncle eddie »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:57 pm
uncle eddie wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am The more I see the sunrise window, the less I like it. I hear absolute horror stories from their dealers. Seems like lots of chaos over there and it has been for a few years now. Publicly they say all is wonderful, I guess you have to if that is the window that you sell, but it sure seems like they have more issues than most right now.
Funny because i have no issues with the product, service, or deliveries and don't see or notice any chaos with them. I have other accounts I could easily sell but have no reason to since I think they have the best product in regard to the main criteria customers want. Performance, options, beauty and service. Don't recall having to replace 1 seal failure in last 3-4 years and some other the other vendors with duralite have been a pia for me with seals breaking within first 3-6 months, im still paying for those every month. Not saying all duralite is bad and is likely assembled better at some window manufacturers, but there is a lot to be said about getting IG units from Cardinal who are the true pros in that arena
Check out this thread: https://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.c ... f=1&t=7505

One photo in particular is worth 10,000 words when it comes to that Sunrise sill, looks like its doing the wave! YIKES! I agree with the glass though, Cardinal makes good stuff.

WindowsDirectCinci

#28 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I see so many things wrong with that photo and no matter what brand that is I’m sure we can agree those issues started with that installation. That was someone’s first attempt at installing windows

uncle eddie

#29 Post by uncle eddie »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm I see so many things wrong with that photo and no matter what brand that is I’m sure we can agree those issues started with that installation. That was someone’s first attempt at installing windows
Bad install for sure. Pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with the Sunrise sill looking like an over cooked noodle though.

facesnorth

#30 Post by facesnorth »

Wood grain laminate looks tacky to us. IMO, there is no high end laminate. It just looks like fake wood to us. And no, there is no wood trim that reasonably matches it in my eyes. That's just my opinion on it.

We actually would prefer a black interior at the moment. Which Starmark doesn't even offer, strangely, when it seems to be all the rage. The problem is, I want to know that I can change it if I choose to. If I want to paint my windows I want to be able to do that. I don't want to lock myself into a choice now that is to last the life of the window.

I had a Provia Aeris dealer come out and they want $22k for 18 windows installed - for the same work that I was quoted $15k installed just 2 years ago for paintable Starmarks, before they discontinued them (I needed to hold off due to budget at the time). Now the Starmark dealer wants the same $15k, but for white vinyl interior! Insane.