Pella Windows by Lowes vs Pella Store

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Malishar

Pella Windows by Lowes vs Pella Store

#1 Post by Malishar »

Are the Pella Lifestyle wood windows from Lowes the same product as the Pella Lifestyle wood windows from a dedicated Pella Showroom store? Am unable to find this info as well as specifics if the warranty is identical. THX

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Pella by Lowes vs Pella from Pella

#2 Post by masterext »

Im sure the quality is the same.. low quality in my opinion.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

To my knowledge no difference... There's always a conspiracy theory that the "big box" products are watered down, but I've yet to see that.

With that being said, the greater question would be whether that window is a good choice for you in general terms. The Lifestyle to my knowledge is a new name for the old Proline/450 series. Pella's lower end wood window. There are better choices out there IMO if a real wood interior is something that you need, and MUCH better choices IMO if you don't need a real wood interior. I'd start checking out thermal and structural performance ratings like U value, condensation resistance, Air leakage, and design pressure (strength). All very important issues in a window purchase, and all areas where there are exponentially better options.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I am confused why one would say to check out performance ratings only if going vinyl.

Malishar

#5 Post by Malishar »

Happy to hear better options for wood replacement windows. We are replacing some 25 year old Anderson’s ( sadly 1993 vintage) including two sliders. We want wood, not vinyl. Most of the house windows are in good shape. Anderson price was ridiculous and products did not meet our current needs. Would like to get the project done this fall but frankly only Pella and Loweshave been responsive. Will not deal with a Home Depot in our area

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Most would concur that getring windows installed by Home Depot or Lowe’s would not be a preferable option. would suggest a window company that is specialized in windows.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We install whatever the customer wants. Being a certified Pella, AW, and Marvin installer, plus an Okna dealer allows us to cover most bases.
LIfestyles at any place is the same. Llifestyles is a combining of Designer and Proline.
The difference is in service, most of the time if we had someone come form Lowes the estimate was not right in scope and options.
Also some option come uninstalled through Lowes, put are "in unit" from the Pella distributor.
Where are you located?
On the Pella web site or AW you can find certified installers in your area.
theWindowNerd.com

Malishar

#8 Post by Malishar »

Thank you windownerd. The price difference was about 25% higher direct from a Pella. ( approx 21,000 vs approx 26,000). We are in the York, Pa area. Lowe’s came with their Pella rep who happened to be in the store the day of our appointment. Both seemed very well versed in the product. The week before we had the Pella sales guy here. Nice young man but is reluctant to break down specifics of what we are paying for. We scaled the project down some. Two sliding French doors were 12,600 installed by Lowe’s vs 13,000 from Pella direct. So the difference in the cost of the windows we are replacing is a concern. Locally Lowe’s has a much better customer reputation than the “ other” big box and my understanding is that their installers are certified by Pella. I realize either way you are at the mercy of who you get for the install.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you send me details I might be able to do for you.
wayne@thewindownerd.com

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 pm I am confused why one would say to check out performance ratings only if going vinyl.
Where did anyone say that?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Malishar, if windownerd serves your area you would be in excellent hands... true craftsmen, all around great people.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

Homesealed, I misunderstood what you said. I think trying to decipher a wood window based upon its performance numbers may be somewhat fruitless. Typically they are somewhat similar as long as the same glass packs are being compared. The air infiltration numbers are almost impossible to find. I am fronds with the Andersen rep here and he could not even find them, he called engineering and was denied. I was able to find some in Andersen but it was not easy.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Agreed Todd... While any window shopper should be concerned with ratings, its probably fair to say that wood window buyers are placing a higher value on appearance over performance in most cases.