Window Replacement near Baltimore, MD

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NewHomeowner

Window Replacement near Baltimore, MD

#1 Post by NewHomeowner »

Hi all,

I want to start off by saying thank you so much for all the information on these forums! It's all been so helpful while trying to understand the right windows to pick for our townhouse.

Okay, so some quick backstory and then I'll get to my questions. We have 8 double-hung (31.75 x 60.75") windows in our townhouse, one of which was replaced in 2015 before we moved in, and the rest from 2008. One of the 2008 windows has a crack on the interior glass pane and another has seal failure, so we think these aren't great windows and it's time to replace them.

I have been looking to getting a few quotes and have a quote from a local Okna dealer for $4400 with the 500 series and from a local Simonton deader for $4200 with the 5500 series with superspacer option. It seems like the experts on this forum definitely prefer the Okna windows, but I was also curious if people thought these quotes were reasonable.

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

Re: Window Replacement near Baltimore, MD

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

(8) OKNA DH units installed in the mid $500 range is very inexpensive especially if there are grids and capping in the equation. Not too many window dealers can be at that price point in my opinion with the cost of labor these days.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mike is correct that the price for the OKna seems fantastic, though we can not see all the scope of work.
Of the two chooses you mention I would only put the Okna into my home.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I’d have no problem with either window in my home, but the Okna is superior and would gladly pay the difference if the install details are the same. Both the prices are definitely on the low end even with out capping the exterior. I’d make sure what the install details were and if both companies are reputable. Both prices are the bottom end of the spectrum.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

NewHomeowner, I had to check the date of your post to make sure that it was not 2009 as opposed to 2019. Those prices are nearly unheard of for either of those windows. The Okna is the superior window in every way, but again, these prices seem crazy. Is this maybe for the window only without installation?

NewHomeowner

#6 Post by NewHomeowner »

All, thanks for your input!

I can confirm that the quotes include installation costs. I did get a third quote today for the Okna 500 series and that was around $5500, which may be more in line with what you all expected...

My dilemma is that I don't feel as comfortable with the company that sells Okna at the cheaper price (there was just something off with the sales guy and some of the information he was trying to convey) and the cost differential between the company that sells Simonton and my most recent quote seems larger than what I should pay for Okna windows... My two follow-on questions are:

1) Is there anything related to install I should ask to make sure I'm getting a good install?
2) How do Provia windows compare to Simonton and Okna? The same company that sells Simonton also sells the Provia windows.

Again, thank you all so much!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

That new pricing is pretty normal IMO. Regardless of who you choose, make sure to do some serious homework on the company installing to improve your odds of a successful project both now and down the road. Not positive if Windows on Washington serves Baltimore, but if he does, he's a must call.

On product, Okna is the still objectively the best option here. Simonton is bulky, outdated, middling performance, and has a pocket sill design with less glass area. It is NOT a terrible window, but just not in the same discussion.

The Provia Endure (if that is the window that you are considering) is a better window from a respected manufacturer, but there are a lot of reports of of hiccups from my understanding. I've had a few Aeris orders (no Endure) without issue, but the Okna is a safer, better performing bet IMO. Windows are still relatively new for Provia, one doesn't have to look further than the Hardie/Beechwood situation from the past year to see a respected manufacturer of another product try and fail in the window biz.

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

Not a big Simington fan. At this point they are the next in a line of companies that had a good product and rep, but sold out and we all know where that leads