advice for do it yourselfers

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
johnmr12

advice for do it yourselfers

#1 Post by johnmr12 »

If you are a homeowner who is considering replacing your old windows and sliding glass doors, i urge you to educate yourself as much as possible before starting. Don't just dive in head first, thinking you will learn as you go. That was the biggest mistake i saw when people used to call my window company after they had attempted to do their own installation, wanting me to fix their mistakes. Many times, they didn't know the difference between a new construction frame and a replacement frame. I am a firm believer that a homeowner who is relatively handy can do basic window replacement projects as well or better than some professionals. That comes from my observations over a 20 year period of dealing with homeowners. Many times, i would sell a house full of vinyl replacement windows, and the homeowner would be my "laborer" on one of the windows. He or she would pay me the labor cost to install that one window. After helping me install it, they would then go on to do the rest of the job. I always did a follow up visit to check their work. I would say 90% of the jobs were well done. Even the other 10% were only minor errors that i would either correct or explain to them what needed to be done. Just remember, KNOWLEDGE is key. If you have any questions, i would be happy to try and answer them for you. You can contact me through my website at www.how-to-install-windows.com/contactpage.html I usually respond within 24 hours, unless i'm gone fishing :D
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.