Buying Anlin/Polybau/CertainT directly for DIY installation

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
kaydee

Buying Anlin/Polybau/CertainT directly for DIY installation

#1 Post by kaydee »

Experts,

After getting educated from the forums and lot of reading, I'm very confident that I can do the Retrofit Vinayl window install myself. Some questions that follow:

1. Are there any dealers in SF Bay area that will sell only the windows (Anlin, Polybau, CertainTeed) to a consumer at reasonable prices?

2. Warranty: Do manufacturers honor their lifetime warranty in case of a homeowener DIY? Basically, don't want to be in a situation where the manufacuterer turns me down because the product was not installed by an authorised dealer/installer.

I figurered the cost of 8 windows and 2 sliding doors to be approximately around $4000 - $5000.

Thanks
--KayDee

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

Where in the Bay area are you located?

kaydee

#3 Post by kaydee »

I'm in San Jose.
--KayDee

wayside

#4 Post by wayside »

I'm not a pro, but from what I can tell the cost of the install is typically 50% to 100% (or more) of the cost of just the window.

Which means, if the manufacturer will not honor the warrantee, you could wind up having to replace between 1/2 and all of your windows and doors a second time, and at worst you break even.

Assuming you put in a decent quality window, what are the odds that you will have to completely replace half or more of them?

If you are confident you can do a half-way decent job of installation, I'd go for it. I considered DIY, but in the end decided I didn't have the time, and there were certain aspects of the install (wrapping the outside in aluminum) that I don't know how to do and would have had to hire out anyway. Plus getting rid of the old ones can be a hassle.

kaydee

#5 Post by kaydee »

wayside, thanks for the information.

I have done many DIYs in the past and I'm confident I can do it.

The challenge is finding a someone who can just sell me the windows, either Anlin or Polybau in Northern California. I'm open to suggestions of other, comparable (or better) brands of retrofit windows.
--KayDee

wayside

#6 Post by wayside »

Did you try contacting the manufacturer for the name of local distributors?

I did this with Marvin from their wbe site, and found that the local distributors are willing to sell directly to the end user.

Or - depending on what the licensing/fee requirements are where you are - it may be time to start "KayDee Windows and Doors", that way you can get the contractor price. :)

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

HOme depot in the bay area can special order just about any brand of window and sell them to you. The warranty in california is the same no matter who installes them for any windows. The Senate Bill 800 that passed about 4 years ago puts the warranty back on the manufacturer to offer installation instrucitons. IF you do not follow their instructions, you are on your own to some degree unless it is an obvious defect. Most warranty issues you will have will be dealing with the glass unit. Your install can crack a unit, but will most often not cause a failure to it.

What I am saying is go to a dealer, buy the windows as if you were a contractor and follow the instructions to the T.

Argonuat windows, General windows, Dolan's Lumber are some good starting points for some other window options. They carry several lines that are comparable. Let me know how they treat you. Would like feedback.

windowmann2000

#8 Post by windowmann2000 »

Interesting post. Buying windows and putting them in yourself if your fairly handy is not rocket science. Your yellow pages should indicate wholesale suppliers for replacement windows. That and some phone calls should get you enough sources. The extraction of your old windows... and proper measurements for the new ones are your biggest obstacle, if you currently have wood windows than the job should be easier vs aluminum or steel which could be flanged making the extraction more difficult.
If theres a screw up, by yourself or the mfrg that's where things get hairy. A dealer knows who to call and can assess problems quickly and get quick results. As a DIY it could take forever to get something corrected and if it's glass problems you may not be able to handle it and you would be at god only knows whose mercy. Dealers handle their own service problems as part of the sale-now your the dealer.
You stated you thought it would run between four and five thousand dollars if you purchased them your self and put them in. Doesn't sound like your saving much for all that responsibility. Good vinyl's should run $275 for the windows and $750 for the patio doors or a rough total of $3700.00 for wood or fiberglass in custom sizes you'll have to add between $1000.00 and $1600 to that plus taxes. In my state taxes are included in the sales price (dealer absorbs) so if your willing to spend 4-5 you should be able to connect with a window dealer for slightly more and than is it worth it.

kaydee

#9 Post by kaydee »

windowman2000

Thanks for the comments.

Basically, I'm looking at Retrofit windows - therefore, no stucco work or any removal of aluminum window frames -just need to remove the sliders.

Based on some queries, the cost per window (Certainteed, Simonton, etc) is about $400 (8*400=3200) and two sliding doors (about $1500-$2000). The installed estimates I have gotten is about $9000-$11,000. Some of the so called "free installation" deals were also quoted at $9000.

As someone else mentioned in this forum, the cost of installation might be adding almost 75%-100% to the total budget. If the additional cost of installation was about $2000 I would definitely not do it myself. All my door and windows are well maintained and easily accessible (no trees, bushes, sheds, etc. obstructing).

As I mentioned earlier, finding a distributor for Anlin has been an uphill task.
--KayDee

windowmann2000

#10 Post by windowmann2000 »

Approximately what size are your sliding windows?

kaydee

#11 Post by kaydee »

Here are the sizes
70x45
28x58
70x40
119x60

doors
96x80
--KayDee

windowmann2000

#12 Post by windowmann2000 »

Is Sacramento to far to go for you? I have connections there at Alside that would wholesale to you. If that's too far give me a few days and I'll get back to you with something.

kaydee

#13 Post by kaydee »

windowman2000

Thanks for the update. I sent you an email to the address in your profile.
--KayDee

neodave

#14 Post by neodave »

The window business is definately an odd duck for a DIYer. I did the Lowes and Home Depot investigating and called other distributors for Gorell, Simonton and Shuco. Most tell you right off the bat that they only sell to builders. And others don't bother to return your call. People bad mouth the options available at Home Depot and Lowes but for the DIYer it may be the best option. I guess on the bright side you have possibly 2 big companies to complain to if there is an issue.