New Window Transport? How to Transport Glass

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
awdorrin

New Window Transport? How to Transport Glass

#1 Post by awdorrin »

I ordered 4 vinyl windows from my local 84 Lumber - they should be in some time this week.

The windows are large (5'x6') and I was planning on transporting them on a 4'x8' flatbed trailer that I have. However, tonight I was reading literature from the manufacturing which says that the windows should not be stored horizontally or stacked. Unfortunately that was how I was thinking of transporting them (laying them down on the trailer, stacking them, tying them down and bringing them home.)

Does anyone know why the manufacturer says not to store them horizonitally? Would it really damage the windows if they were kept that way for 30 minutes? (I figure 10 minutes to load and secure, 10 minutes to drive home, and 10 minutes to unload.)

Maybe I should just pay the delivery fee?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan

#2 Post by Dan »

I hate to see a window transported flat. On a large picture window it put a great deal of stress on the glass as it is bouncing up and down. The other problem is when you stack windows there is a lot of movement and what stacks neatly when you pick them up quickly become unstacked with the vehicle movements causing glass breakage and frame damage.

But if you elect to haul the windows flat and don't have a problem I really don't think any manufacturer would ever know you did it that way.

DWS

Re: New Window Transport?

#3 Post by DWS »

You definitely do not want to transport your windows laying down. The window frames will stack fine however the glass is suspended kind of like a trampoline. This can cause the windows to crack or have seal failure prematurely. Windows should always be transported and stored standing on end, kind of like books on a shelf. If the lumber yard offer free delivery, I would take it, If not you can build a crude rack with 2x4s and strap in the middle of your flat bed.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

If you purchased the windows at 84 lumber and are on the east or west coast, the are most likely Jeld-Wen windows. I looked online and they do not give their specifice reasons, but I do know that almost every manufacturer states the same thing about transportation of windows. The trampoline was the best anology for this. I have loaded 4x4 windows in that back of a suburban laying down, they made it fine. I have loaded larger pics laying down too. You can transport them laying down, but, make sure the is something between each windows for support, so you do not get the weight of all the window on one point of the bottom windows. I used large bulkhead cardboard when I had to do this. I drove them 45 miles on a California highway (Bad repair) and they made it. Your risk though.

awdorrin

#5 Post by awdorrin »

Thanks a lot for your explanations - it makes plenty of sense to me now why you would not want to lay the windows flat. Looks like I'll have to build up some side-walls for my trailer and make sure they stay upright.

Thanks!