Continuous Support on Sill?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
awdorrin

Continuous Support on Sill?

#1 Post by awdorrin »

I was reading through the instructions on my Jeld-Wen vinyl slider windows and saw the requirement for a 1/4" thick plywood continuous support to be installed between the sill and the window.

Could anyone explain the need for such a support and why you should not just place the window directly on the wood framing or flashing?

I can understand not wanting to shim in different locations at the sill side, in fear of warping or twisting the slider track. But I don't understand why you could not place the window directly on the 2x4 or 2x6 sill board.

(As you may have already guessed - I have a problem if I install the continuous support - the window just won't fit on one corner. The sill is not 100% level, but is within the tolerances specified by Jeld-Wen. With the shim installed the right-hand side is about 1/16" or 1/8" too narrow. This means I either need to install this window without the 1/4" thick continuous support, or I need to tear our the cripple studs on that side, trim them shorter and reinstall the sill board. So I'm leaning towards not installing the 'continuous support' board.)

awdorrin

#2 Post by awdorrin »

While I'm still curious as to the reasoning behind using a 1/4" piece of plywood as a continuous sill - to fix my problem, I decided to trim the tops of the cripple studs in the wall and renail the sill board to square up the opening. The right way to do it rather than a shortcut ;)

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

When you retrofit a window because the aluminum frame remains some manufactures ask that you fill that void with a continuous support. Different manufacturers require different installation methods.
In your case your doing a full replacement so it seems weird that the instructions say that. It looks like you have fixed your problem but if you have a copy of the instructions i may be able to help.

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

Jeld-Wen actually placese their recommended installation on the Web.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/resources/installation.cfm

E-Z

#5 Post by E-Z »

http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/resources/ ... JII010.pdf

Dont know if this are the type of Jeld Wen Windows you are installing. if so the 1/4" is the height that they require you to install the window away from the existing aluminum frame by shimming it with continiuos support.

Were you installing Flush fin windows on a new construction home?

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

earwax

#6 Post by earwax »

that is the only place I saw the 1/4' sill support. I have seen that application before. Only in a flush fin retro fit though. Not new construction.