"Living" Window question: Austin Texas

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
dactivant

"Living" Window question: Austin Texas

#1 Post by dactivant »

Here's the deal. I was getting ready to paint the window sill for a lady in her home, and I needed to open the window. I noticed there was a plastic cap that runs horizontally across the window. It is some type of cosmetic extruded white plastic molding that presses into the window sash behind the window latches. It runs the entire width of the window, and as far as I can tell it's designed to press into place and be retained by built in ridges that run along the bottom of the extrusion. It sort of caps the seal between the two panes.

Anyway, the piece was not seated correctly in the channel and when I went to open the window, the extrusion got caught somehow between the two panes and cracked. I felt bad about it because I broke my "If it doesn't fit, don't force it" rule.

The only visible indicator of a manufacturer on the window was "Living" that was cast into the window latches.

How do I find that replacement plastic piece?

johnmr12

living windows

#2 Post by johnmr12 »

I never heard of "living" windows, and you didn't mention if the window was aluminum, vinyl, or wood. If it's a wood or aluminum window, it's quite possible that the piece was installed as a stop gap measure to reduce draft into the home. In other words, the snap in piece might not be a part of the window. There are companies such as C.R. Laurence, that sell aftermarket products like that. It's also possible that it wasn't seated properly from day 1 because it really wasn't designed for that window, and whoever put it in just did the best they could. M-I-C-.....K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-EEEEEEEEEE. You might be kicking yourself for something that really isn't your fault at all. Of course, if every window in the house has this piece and the other windows work fine, then i'm probably full of it.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

dactivant

"Living" windows

#3 Post by dactivant »

OK. They are aluminum windows. They are some kind of cosmetic trim piece. They are a part of every window in the home.

My guess is the trim was not installed properly to begin with, judging from the indentions on the plastic edges. It just looks like it was always in wrong...

But that still doesn't help me find out where to get a replacement piece. I could put the broken piece back in there, but it looks pretty crappy. Is there some marking somewhere on aluminum windows that generally identifies the manufacturer?

johnmr12

#4 Post by johnmr12 »

It might be a window that is only distributed in your general area. I would call every window contractor and Glass shop around there and ask them if they are familiar with "living" windows. Tell them they are aluminum, whether the glass is single or double pane, and the approximate age of the windows. You might find a dealer who can get you the piece.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

The piece that was broken is called the "Interlock". THere is one on the active sash and something similar on the inactive side. When the windows close together these lock to keep out the elements and insects. I would suggest taking the piece or entire sash to your local glass company and show them your issues. They would be your best chance at remedies. Good Luck!!