Need help and suggestions!

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
reneehsm

Need help and suggestions!

#1 Post by reneehsm »

Hi all we have decided to try to replace our old single hung, single paned aluminum windows with something better.

We think we already have about 4 replacement windows and a sliding door replacement. But they are also aluminum single pane .

So we are trying to figure out how to go about all this.

We'd like to do it ourselves as hubby is a good handy man - jack of all trade and with me his loyal loving side kick we do pretty good together.

We are thinking about vinyl but aren't sure. We would like double paned and probably LowE from what I am reading.

We priced some at Home depot and lowes before I started my researching and now need to find out what brands to look for. As I haven't really read favorable stuff about buying windows from these guys.

We don't need the BEST out there so to speak we would just like some affordable quality windows.
We figure if they are more than we want to pay we can always replace a couple at a time and pay as we go.
We figure that would be better than nothing.

I think I am going to order a DVD set on replacing windows and sliding doors yourself so that we can get a better idea on what all is involved before we start ordering windows .
We figure its a good place to start along with the researching I am trying to do.

Anyway I was hoping for some advise on window brands along with info on vinyl windows as this is what hubby wants but I am not convinced yet.
As I feel that aluminum would be stronger but what do I know!

Anyway I would love to hear anything and everything you all have to say about replacement windows and doing it your self.
Brands that are good, brands to stay away from, brands that can be found in FL etc.
Just anything and everything you can share with us.
Thanks look forward to hearing back from you all and getting your two cents worth here
renee