Entry Door

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
oppie

Entry Door

#1 Post by oppie »

Ok - I know this is the window board, but in the course of getting a window quote we also asked about replacing our front door with a Precision Entry fiberglass, full window with cool glass/caming. I about feel out of my seat at the price -- $3K+ Are doors really that hard to install, as I understand the cost of the door is about $1700?
Thanks.

tru_blue

Entry Door

#2 Post by tru_blue »

The price of the door sometimes dictates the installation/labor price, depending on the contractor. There are many contractors that charge in the $300-$800 range for installation depending on various factors, and that in itself is quite a range. However, there are also those that pretty much simply double the price of the door (or window), and that is their price for the door installed. So in this case, since the door is $1,700, their price for installation, trim, insulation, caulk, and painting/staining is an additional $1,700, bringing the total to $3,000+ as you described. Their justification for this is that if they damage the $1,700 door, they have to provide a new one. If they only charge $400 to install, and damage the $1,700 door, who is going to pay for a new $1,700 door? More risk for the installer. Similarly, if you purchased a $1,000 door, then their install price would be only $1,000 for the same reasons.

I tend to be in the $300-$800 camp, but I can see merit in the double-the-price method.