keep old wood windows, or replace with vinyl?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Kbotard

keep old wood windows, or replace with vinyl?

#1 Post by Kbotard »

I need help in trying to decide on wether to repair my old wood windows, or replace them with vinyl. Most of the spring balances need replacing. If I replace all of them, the cost is approximately $540.00 plus shipping and tax. They all need stripping, priming, painting, weatherstripping and re-glazing. Several of the panes are broken or missing. One window looks like the bottom is swollen and won't shut after I opened them for a few days, but it could be because the house needs leveling too.
I know all of these problems are repairs that I can make, so I'm not worried about labor costs. If we do replace these windows, we will also do the labor on installing.
I know I listed a lot of problems with the wood windows, but even after that, I would be willing to repair them if the majority of this board says to keep them. I just want to know what will be best for us in the long run with maintenance and energy efficiency. I have searched the net and still don't know what to do. Thank you in advance for your advice. :)
By the way, I tried to find this subject in the old archives with no luck.

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

it all depends on your personal preferences, however, there is a point where it becomes cost prohibitive to keep throwing money at an old window.

As far as energy efficiency...there is not debate there. Unless you want to caulk/foam those old wood windows shut and put on storm windows...you probably still won't get anywhere near energy efficiency of a good replacement window.