New Construction in Existing Stucco

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Toadhall

New Construction in Existing Stucco

#1 Post by Toadhall »

I've been poking around and posting as I ramp up to my window project. The house is 1930's mix of wood siding and stucco. I posted my original plan over here, but wanted to create a new thread specific to the stucco install.

This was my plan:
1. Lay the new trim over the stucco and mark the edge.
2. With a circular saw, shallow cut (only the stucco) around the window following the trim edge.
3. Tape the rough opening with that wide adhesive flashing tape (ship-lap style)
4. Install the new window, back caulking the nailing fin on top and sides (window has built-in drip cap).
5. Flashing tape on top of the fin (again ship-lap style)
6. Add the trim
7. Caulk the trim/stucco and trim/window edges

However, I found this great article on installing new windows into old stucco walls at the Journal of Light Construction (free pdf). It looks really thorough and emphasizes the need to keep the existing paper under the stucco intact.

I'd like to add the wood trim for aesthetic reasons. I'm hoping to still use a circular saw to cut a score in the stucco at the location of the new trim (ie super shallow). Then use wire cutters to cut the chicken wire flush. Lap the flashing tape from the rough opening over the existing paper, and install the window as normal. Then add the trim back as above.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my revised plan, and on the article.

Thanks,
Toadhall

Toadhall

#2 Post by Toadhall »

Anyone?