Replacement windows for frame and stucco construction

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
AZ_Engineer

Replacement windows for frame and stucco construction

#1 Post by AZ_Engineer »

Hi, we would like to replace the windows in our 20 year old stucco tract home which currently has single pane aluminum windows. We are in Arizona and the home is 2 by 4 construction with a basic stucco exterior. I am fairly certain that I do not want to disturb the stucco as I want to ensure that the windows stay well flashed to the house, and to the vapor barrier. So, it seems we need to go to with replacement windows, but the standard procedure for installing them inside the existing aluminum window frame causes us to lose a ton of light.

Here is a pic of the normal replacement window install approach.

My idea is to use a saw to remove the window tracks from the old frame so I can gain some additional glass area and light. I'm pretty sure with the guide rails I have for my saws I can accurately remove the tracks while preserving the integrity of the main window frame and the seal between the window and the houses vapor barrier. Here is a pic of what I want to accomplish. I'd also like to trim the outer most flange back a little so that I don't have the weird replacement window look. I would maintain the amount of flange covering the stucco in the end.

Thoughts?

Also, I am considering fiberglass windows. Seems from reading that Milgard Ultra are well respected, and have the narrowest window frame profiles. Any recommendations on windows?

Thanks...joe

AZ_Engineer

Re: Replacement windows for frame and stucco construction

#2 Post by AZ_Engineer »

I met with an installer today who seemed to be very experienced. He claimed that the tract houses build in our area in the 80's never flashed or sealed the windows. He almost always does replacement windows with new construction windows without the nailing flange. They removed the sash/windows, and then pull the aluminum extrusions in towards the middle of the rough in opening. He said the nails holding the windows pull right out without damaging the stucco. They then pump a ton of caulking into the space where the flange was, and put in the new windows without any flashing to the tar paper. He claims that he has yet to see a house built in the 80s here that had any caulk. He did say that the way the old windows were installed, the nailing flange would provide some flashing like value.

Thoughts on this? If the old windows were not caulked or flashed, would replacing the windows with new construction/no flange style give me moisture/mold problems down the road? It's AZ so it doesn't rain much, but we can get an inch an hour when it does rain...joe

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows for frame and stucco construction

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not alot of stucco out here on the East Coast, however, I would be very suspect of that nailing fin coming out without damaging 20+ year old stucco.

Most west coast installers do what they call "jumping" the frame.

I would call Milgard home office and see what they recommend. They made a corner in that market coming up with ideas to replace windows without damaging stucco and keeping the home water tight.