best way to weatherize sills

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
freia

best way to weatherize sills

#1 Post by freia »

I'm not doing it myself. I'm trying to find the best contractor to do it for me, but this seemed like the best place to post.

We are preparing to install new siding and windows. This gives us a great advantage in weatherization, since the new windows can be installed just like new construction.

However, we are running into very different installation techniques with different contractors. One wraps the tyvek around and into all 4 sides of the sill, then adds a membrane across the bottom and part-way up the sides, installs the window with caulking on 3 sides only (not the bottom), then tapes around the window, then installs siding. Another cuts the tyvek around the opening, so that none of it goes onto the sill, places peel-n-stick window tape onto the bottom sill, caulks all 4 sides, installs the window, then tapes around before installing siding. Another just caulks, installs, caulks again and tapes.

We want the best weatherization possible, and now we're just confused :( . Are there any experts out there who could advise us on how a totally waterproof window is installed?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: best way to weatherize sills

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Here are a couple of videos that will give you some education. Please remember that these methods are NOT for insert replacement windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgKIblXcNw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqJxbk5qwc

freia

Re: best way to weatherize sills

#3 Post by freia »

Thank you so much. Exactly what I was looking for. That fist video is the EXACT method used by the one contractor. That clears things up.

I find it interesting that these guys don't caulk behind the windows before installing them, whereas almost all the contractos I've talked with about this job caulk everything before installation. Are windows typically over-caulked? I worry that if the windows are gooped up with cauling in there, moisture would never be able to escape if it ever did make its way behind the window.