Tyvek Flexwrap and other flexible tapes applies to the sill

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
freia

Tyvek Flexwrap and other flexible tapes applies to the sill

#1 Post by freia »

Does anyone have much experience using the Tyvel FlexWrap or any of the other brands of the rubbery, flexible, self-adhezive tapes to flash the bottom sill? We think it looks like a great product, but we wonder what happens to those stretched-out corners ever time. It seems like so much strain on the outside stretched corner would eventually make it fail/crack over time. Is anyone familiar with how this product holds up over time? I'm thinking that after it's stretched to shape, that the material actually takes on that new shape, and isn't actually under constant stress? Anybody familiar with the material properties of these flashings?

freia

Re: Tyvek Flexwrap and other flexible tapes applies to the sill

#2 Post by freia »

I found this on a website:

"Tyvek® Flexwrap™ and Tyvek® Contractor Tape™ when used as
directed in conjunction with Tyvek® HomeWrap® will provide
a waterproof fl ashing system with a durability of 15 years in
accordance with NZBC B2.3.1 b). The serviceable life of Tyvek®
Flexwrap™ is expected to be in excess of 50 years."

Does this mean that once on the window, it fails after 15 years, or after 50 years? I'm unclear on "durability" vs "servicable life".

window helper

Re: Tyvek Flexwrap and other flexible tapes applies to the sill

#3 Post by window helper »

The "NZBC B2.3.1 b" they refer to is a standard of performance used to determine a minimum performance level. This statement basically says that the Tyvek system meets this standard requirement AND Tyvek believes that it will actually have a service life of fifty years.

If you are using the entire Tyvek System be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them. It is a good system, but it relies on all elements of it installed properly to work correctly (just like anything else in this world eh?)