Make or buy?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
dfdaly

Make or buy?

#1 Post by dfdaly »

My Sweetheart has decided that she wants lites installed on the sides of our front door (rough out ax. 10-11" x 80"). Since these don't have to be functional, do I dare try to buy just the glass and frame (case) the windows myself, or should I buy pre-mfgd. and go from there? I have a fair degree of acquired skill as a finish carpenter, and the appropriate tools. In addition, should I look at tempered/tempered thermo/Lexan (to keep out night crawlers) or what?
Many thanks,
Dave
Houston, TX

johnmr12

#2 Post by johnmr12 »

Dave, with your carpentry skills, you should frame the openings first, then order your glass to fit. You can put up temporary plywood until your glass is ready. The reason you will have to wait a couple of days for the glass is because it has to be tempered. Be sure to order your glass slightly smaller than the exact opening. 1/4" should be fine. There are some really nice looking glass patterns out there that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. One of the most popular patterns for door sidelites is something called "gluechip". Ask your glass supplier to show you samples.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

dfdaly

Make or Buy?

#3 Post by dfdaly »

Johnmr12:
thanks very much for your input -- it's MOST appreciated.
D

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

If your going to install side lights make sure you have enough space for the frame work. If you get a stock side light from a lumber yard. You can get two sizes 12" & 14". With the frame you will get another inch and a half. So a twelve inch side light and frame will really be thirteen and a half inches unit width. You can make them yourself with your trim work skill very easily. You can also go to a DIY store and get frame material already milled. When you attach the light to the door frame make sure you use an adhesive caulking between the frames. You can then screw the frames together or Wafer nail the edges like they do in the factory. When you install the entire unit make sure you keep the two units level across the header. Just use a level so one doesn't sag from the other. Then make sure you anchor the bottom center post somewhere that won't be exposed. Usually under the portion where the glass will sit. Then order your glass to fit in the opening you have created. You can install the glass with a wet seal like silicone or glazing tape which you can get from the glass supplier. You'll then be in great shape!! Good Luck

dfdaly

Make or Buy?

#5 Post by dfdaly »

Gary,
I was out of town, and didn't see your posting until today. Your advice is great and I really appreciate your taking the time to send it. Thanks so much. Have a great Holiday and New Year.
Dave D.