Replacement or New Construction

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
dijastrow

Replacement or New Construction

#1 Post by dijastrow »

My existing windows are shot. I am trying to figure out if I would be better off with replacement windows or new construction. My current windows were installed with out a nail fin. The windows are not even secured through the frame to the jack studs. The brick molding and interior trim is all that is securing the windows to the house. The brick mold and windows are made of wood. I will be replacing the brick mold no matter what as it is in real bad shape. Several of the sills are rotted and will need to be completely replaced. If I am going to do all the work of replacing the brick mold and sills with PVC would I be better off just replacing the entire window unit? I have been told that replacement windows are actually stronger than new construction and that if possible I would be better off with a replacement window. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement or New Construction

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Replacement windows are typically stronger than new construction but not as a result of being a replacement, usually because new construction windows are complete garbage. I would rip out that entire opening and go with a replacement quality window with a nailing fin. You can get them complete with a brickmold exterior as well. Pan flashing, nailing fin, and flashing tape would be the way to go.

dijastrow

#3 Post by dijastrow »

Thank you for the reply. I have a couple of questions about installing new construction windows if you do not mind. Last year I replaced my Masonite with Hardie Plank. If I were a smarter man I would have replaced the windows at the same time. The siding of course runs right to the brick molding. I removed the brick molding from one of the windows to see if it would be possible to remove the existing window without disturbing the siding. Behind the brick molding and foam sheathing I can see about 1 1/2” of jack stud. So my question is would it be possible to install a replacement quality new construction window with a nail fin without having to remove my existing siding? When I resided the home I wrapped it in Tyvek up to the brick molding. The existing window opening has a black plastic wrap around it but there is no flashing or tape. I have watched the UTube videos about how to properly flash a window but there is no way to do that without removing all of my siding. So my second question is if it is possible to install the replacement grade new construction window will I be able to properly weather seal the window? Does back caulking the heck out of the nail fin work as a weather seal? If not I have been told that I can get a new construction window without a nail fin that secures through the window frame to the jack stud. Also I was looking at the Simonton ProFinish new construction windows. Would these be considered replacement grade? If not can you recommend a window that would work. I am looking for a Vinyl window if possible. I really appreciate your help on this one.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will probably be okay doing it that way.