Trimming out the exterior of a Aluminium Clad window

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
dijastrow

Trimming out the exterior of a Aluminium Clad window

#1 Post by dijastrow »

I could not find a Vinyl replacement window that was a good fit for my home. I decided to go with a Jeld-Wen aluminium clad window. I have 30 windows to replace but I will start with one. I have just recievedmy new windows and everything looks good as far as size goes. My one issue is figuring out how to trim the exterior of the window. I want to install Brick molding back onto the window to match the rest of my nieghborhood. I also like the look of the brick mold. I will be using the vinyl brick mold. The difference between my existing wood window and this aluminium clad window is the sill. On the old window the sill extended under the brick mold. On the new window the sill does not extend past the jamb. Would it look stupid to run brick molding around all sides of the window and make it look like a picture frame or should I just run the side of the brick mold fluch to the bottom of the sill and leave it that way. I am attaching photo links of my new and old sill. This new window has a nail fin around it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The photos are labled new sill and old sill.

http://www.myphoto.com/dijastrow/3203/13230
http://www.myphoto.com/dijastrow/3203/13231
http://www.myphoto.com/dijastrow/3203/13232

TheWindowNerd

Re: Trimming out the exterior of a Aluminium Clad window

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Use Azek for all. Rip a 5/4 on 7* angle on both front and back for the "show sill".

windowdude

#3 Post by windowdude »

and then remember to cut the bottoms of the side pieces of brickmold at an angle to match the 7 degree slope of the sill.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, then cut the top of the legs 45* and the top also. You can prefab the whole thing on the ground and then install as a surround. Follow the mfg stated guigelines for joinery.

dijastrow

#5 Post by dijastrow »

Thank you for the help. I have never tried to glue two PVC trim boards together. Is there a prefered PVC cement to use? Would it be advisable to cut the trim boards to size before glueing them or is it possible to glue two 12' boards together without making a mess of it all. I will be replacing 30 windows and if I can mass produce sill at 12' sections then cut the size I need for each window I will be saving alot of time.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Some mfg have their own glue. See mfg guidelines for correct fabrication.