House alarm sensor practice?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
justdave

House alarm sensor practice?

#1 Post by justdave »

My existing wood windows, on the first floor, have house alarm sensors in them.
A hole has been drilled in the sill and plugged with a magnetic sensor. The wires run down from the sill in the wall.
A matching hole has been drilled in the bottom of the sash and a small magnet was installed.

The house alarm will not set unless all windows (well the lower sash) are closed.

Needless to say, mentioning this to the windows vendors starts handwaving issues of warranty.
And it could be problematic with hollow vinyl windows.

How do people deal with alarm installation?
Are there better or easier ways to accomplish the same effect?
Or do I wait until they leave? :wink:

Obviously the wiring is best done before the interior sill trim goes back on the wall.
Thanks,

Dave.

Skydawggy.

Re: House alarm sensor practice?

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Your dealer should be able to get a warranty exclusion for the alarm system. Any alarm company shoul be able to reinstall your alarm after the windows are installed.

We always recommend the customer call the alarm company and make them aware that new windows are going to be installed in a few weeks. Once the windows are in, we call the customer and have them contact the alarm co. to remove the alarm a few days before we are ready to install. Once the windows are installed, the alarm co. can come back out and reinstall. How the Alarm co. reinstalls depends on the type of system. If it's wireless it's no issue. Wired usually requires drilling into the window and setting the magnets with silicone.

pondscum

#3 Post by pondscum »

I've got this issue too, with sensors surface-mounted with screws on the jamb and sash. The alarm system was put in by a previous owner and I don't use it, so I'd be OK with just having it taken out. OTOH, it looks like it should be possible to re-mount the sensors on the new windows with epoxy rather than screws. A house where I lived before had the sensors mounted that way and they didn't seem to be in any danger of coming off.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I dig the switch out, put on a peel and stick(surface mounted) switch with a matching magnet. No holes drilled in the new vinyl windows.
For wood windows I do the press and fit like you have now.
Most window installers hate alarms. I got tired of trying to schedule and interface with the alarm companies, we learned to do it ourselves and it is great, we are also less $ than the alarm companies.

windowdan

#5 Post by windowdan »

Anthony how did you get past your insurance company and the waiver you had to sign saying you would not do any alarm removal or installation unlees you were certified?
For most homes its easier and more affordable to update to wireless systems through a new provider than it is to have your existing company (at 100 + per hour) to retro fit and or damage your new product.
My expierence with alarm companies is they are bigger thieves than you are trying to protect yourself from and always suggesting the highest priced option.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What waiver?
windowdan wrote:My expierence with alarm companies is they are bigger thieves than you are trying to protect yourself from and always suggesting the highest priced option.
What the heck are you talking about? I wished I made $100 an hour. You had better back up if you are calling me a thief.

Skydawggy.

#7 Post by Skydawggy. »

Read it again. He's not calling you a thief. He saying the alarm companies are bigger thieves than the thieves they are protecting the homeowner from. It did come off a little like he was calling you a thief by the way it was worded.

In my area a contractor needs an alarm installers license. If the homeowner starts having false alarms after the window install and decides to sue, you don't want to be standing in front of a Judge trying to explain that you reinstalled the alarm correctly but, aren't licensed to do so.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Thanks Sky, point taken.

windowdan

#9 Post by windowdan »

Exactly also what if you damage your newly installed product or God forbid your coustomer is left unprotected and something bad happens. I myself in that case would have a hard time dealing with that.
All because I tried to save them a few dollars.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It could happen that I might damage a product, but it hasn't.
But I have had two different alarm companies drill into the glass of new windows I have installed.