Old Craftsman Style House Renovation - needs lots of windows

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
msirish

Old Craftsman Style House Renovation - needs lots of windows

#1 Post by msirish »

Hi! I renovated a 1910 Craftsman-style house out in the country 6 years ago. The basement is very well-insulated. I have never really heated the upstairs til this past winter, after I moved my office to my home. I discovered during this very cold winter that the new storms we put on don't make up for the drafty old windows, or the failure of my renovation contractor to insulate around the windows after he installed new drywall. The heating bills were horrendous.

The quote I got from Pella 6 years ago ($5,000) and the quote I got 2 years ago ($20,000) are not in my budget. If I could not afford $5,000 in 2003, why would I suddenly be able to afford $20,000 5 years later? The price increase was blamed on Katrina. Any ideas on how to keep the feel of the wonderful old wood windows, but upgrade to a newer, double-pane window that keeps some wind and cold out - and heat in! I have very little windbreak since I've only been out here for 6 years, and I get a lot of North and South wind, which affects my windows. I live in South Central Kansas - on the open plains. :(

I am wondering if I can do some of the installation myself? I am a female, mid-fifties.

msirish

Re: Old Craftsman Style House Renovation - needs lots of windows

#2 Post by msirish »

I got a quote from Rolox yesterday. For 27 windows, it is approximately $900 per window. The window looks good, and the guarantee is good, but that is almost $27000.00. If I want wood stain, it's $3,000 more. So, I don't think the sales of homes in my suburban/rural neighborhood can justify this type of expense right now. Anyone have any experience with a good, wood or vinyl with wood look window that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the details on that installation? Depending on the type of installation, that will do nothing to address several of your issues.

You need to have a real pro look at your situation and an energy auditor would give you the real quantitative data on the home and find the best solutions to your home.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Tilt-pacs/jambliner kits would be a very good option.They are economical and you could utilize the new storm windows you just installed.I second getting an energy audit done as well.Your starting to get up there in age but I think you could handle the install.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

IMO you can do one of the 3 best vinyl DH with a simulated wood interior for <$18K for 27 windows.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Jambliner kits should ony cost about $5000 ,no installation.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not care for "tilt pacs". Not a sealed system, especially at the sill.
Not ETC qualified either.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I would not worry about them being a "sealed" system when being used with a storm/combination window.Tilt-pacs with a storm will also give an excellent windbreak.The savings in cost should more than equal out even with the ETC.I do no of one company working on being ETC qualified as we speak.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Bet it will not happen. To many field variables.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

How much?

jeff1995

#11 Post by jeff1995 »

I was from western Ks. Did you get the energy audit? How did you, or have you corrected your window problems? Very curious to know.
JEFF

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

anthony wrote:Bet it will not happen. To many field variables.
You should have bet,it got to late and they decided not to do the testing because of the tax credit ending this year.They do however have testing that shows a U factor of 0.34 from previous testing.this was achieved with a clear glass IG unit with aluminum spacer and a storm window with clear glass.