Father inlaw- says to do windows our selfs.

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
shaf

Father inlaw- says to do windows our selfs.

#1 Post by shaf »

So my father inlaw says he and i could install my basement windows (5), for $400 and it wouldnt even take 1/2 a day. or that i could even do it my self in that amount of time. BTW 400 almost 4-5x less then what most companies were quoting me.

I guess im asking if getting window kits from home depot/ lows are just as good quality as having window companies do it.

Are there warranties are the same? If this window i buy from lows (example) can warranties be defalted if instalations/ were incorrect.

I feel safer having a life time warrenty from a company. help

TheWindowNerd

Re: Father inlaw- says to do windows our selfs.

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Basement windows are a pain in the back side. It is tuff to pay $300 for an installed basement window.
Its only the basement what can it hurt. You can do it twice and still save money, if you have the time and skill.
As far as warrarnty goes if there is an installation mistake whether by pro or novice the mfg will not cover it.
Almost unbelievable, I read in a trade rag that over 50% of home improvement work done by contractors has to be redone due to poor workmanship.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Father inlaw- says to do windows our selfs.

#3 Post by masterext »

save your family alot of grief and hire a pro that will do it correctly. that 400 bucks will turn into a heck of alot more when you need to have a pro who does this on a daily basis rip out something your father in law installed because he is trying to be helpful. not worth the aggrevation.