Replacing Windows From Outside

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
LukeDuke1109

Replacing Windows From Outside

#1 Post by LukeDuke1109 »

I am planning on having a friend help me replace my windows. He came over to take a look and measure and notice that under the casing there is cornering molding if that makes sense. I said if would be too much work installing from the inside and easy for do it from the out side.

Is this common to install from outside?

Skydawggy.

Re: Replacing Windows From Outside

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Yes, very common.

LukeDuke1109

#3 Post by LukeDuke1109 »

it looks like we will haveto remove the window stop to install from the outside. Do we have to replace the window stop? If so is there a particular product to use?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

They will likely break in several cases in the course of removal. If you are replacing them, you might as well use a synthetic trim (i.e. Azek or similar).

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The blinds stops are pretty much impossible to remove without breaking. The only way to do so would be cutting them with a multi-tool or very carefully with a sawz-all. Typically, outside installs are followed by aluminum capping, or total replacement of the exterior trim with a pvc product or something like that.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

HomeSealed wrote:The blinds stops are pretty much impossible to remove without breaking. The only way to do so would be cutting them with a multi-tool or very carefully with a sawz-all. Typically, outside installs are followed by aluminum capping, or total replacement of the exterior trim with a pvc product or something like that.
I agree.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

TheWindowKing333 wrote:An outside install is a great way to protect your inside trim and its finnish it is recognized by AAMA as a correct installation method you should be able to chisel the blind stop with a sharp chisel if you feel more comfortable with a swzall its good too but seldom actually needed also no need to replace the blind stop just cap with the coil stock of your choice like the other guys said
Even though you would not have to replace the blindstop I really would suggest doing it.If you are going to cap with aluminum I would run the blindstop out to the casing if you were going to float the aluminum over the blindstop.Using a synthetic blindstop would be overkill if you are going to cap the exterior,but I would prime the wood if you go that route.