New Construction Install Question

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
pn1awusn

New Construction Install Question

#1 Post by pn1awusn »

Sorry this is not a "replacement" window question, but I know there are experts around here that I hope can help me.

I am going to install new construction windows in a home with plywood siding which will remain in place. My question is what is the proper air/vapor barrier, flashing, sealing etc... steps.

My intent is to remove the old window and trim the siding, if needed, enough to fit the nailing flang. Then I will use trim to cover up the nailing fin (no casing/molding on the window exterior).

Can I just install the new window and then cover up the nailing fin with something like the 4" Tyvek straight flashing and tuck it under the siding before installing the trim? Or do I need to put flashing right on the sheathing and "pan the sill" before installing the window and then flash again over the nailing fin?

Any info is appreciated,

E

Guy

New Construction Installation

#2 Post by Guy »

Your on the right track!. After you have removed your old window from each opening. Measure the opening to see if your new window will fit. I would recommend at least an inch clearance around each nail fin exposed. Back caulk your nail fin and set the window in the opening. Shim and level the unit then nail. You can then tape off the exterior with any type of exterior tape. Make sure the tape covers the nail holes and seals to the fin. The outside should seal over the fin edge and attach to the wallboard. Install it in the shingle styled overlap. Bottom piece first, then the sides and top last. You can then trim around this area with a wood or vinyl product to fill the gap. Before you put anything in place. Back caulk the piece and then nail it in place. If you use any wood product. Pre-paint it before installation. Caulk all butting joints around these pieces and to the window. The inside can be can foamed using a low expansion type foam. Great Stuff in the light blue can is what we use. You can then apply a jamb box or what ever style jamb extensions and trim you desire. Good Luck!!!

pn1awusn

#3 Post by pn1awusn »

Thanks Guy for the info. I'll be using either cement fiber or composite wood trim (haven't decided which yet) and would not have thought to caulk the back of the trim piece.

Thanks again!!