My current window setup doesn't seem to match replacements

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
trentdk

My current window setup doesn't seem to match replacements

#1 Post by trentdk »

I've been fixing up my house for the past couple years, teaching myself everything from books and the internet. Now I've finally come to the windows. I want to replace them myself, but feel like my current setup is not quite the same as the setups in all the replacement installation articles I've read.

Here is one of my current windows:

Do I order replacement windows (I feel like they are way deeper than what I have now)? Or do I need to, not only take out the metal window frame, but also remove all the interior trim (just have the 2x4s showing), and order "new construction" windows? I know I sound like a complete noob, lol (which, for windows, I am).

House info: 1981, has T-11 siding with vinyl siding done over it. The windows are 36" x 72" metal frame.

TLHWINDOW

Re: My current window setup doesn't seem to match replacements

#2 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Depends on which route you want to go.

You could go with replacements, they will be a thicker window, but typically give you a better window than a low slung new construction. You would remove the old window and have to put in a drip cap above it (if there isn't one there), and maybe some flashing around the edges too. For you, probably some new trim like a 1x~ around the edges to trim it up.

Or you could cut back some of the vinyl and possibly the T1-11 and then put a new construction window in with a nailing flange, tape it, seal it. Simonton makes a nice new construction window (upper end). You probably would end up putting in new exterior trim and re J-Channeling the exterior.

Its not for the beginner. The first one is the hardest.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the siding that you placed over the window was a vertical panel designed to match the T1-11 look, it is not really feasible to just remove parts of it to get in a full frame/nailing flange window. You are going to be mostly stuck with the replacement option.

You are going to loose some jamb depth but it is going to be much cheaper than the new construction option.

20-20 hindsight is always a perfect science but for anyone reading this post in the future, the time to do the windows would have been when you decided to do the siding.

Skydawggy.

#4 Post by Skydawggy. »

:lol: :lol:

Where do you get this stuff from, Eric?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Windows wrote::lol: :lol:

Where do you get this stuff from, Eric?
That was a South Park character that I saw one time I was flipping around.

windowmike

#6 Post by windowmike »

Not an easy one
i suggest full removal install with nail fin and proper flashing
check out installationmasters or exterior contractor march 2011 article in qualified remodeler
cut back existing interior returns or remove them
leaving existing frame and wrapping it is an option but makes for smaller window
this leaves existing flashing undisturbed
siding can be removed and reinstalled
difficult but beautiful job can be done
picture sure did help